How do I get my 1 year old to start walking?

Since he was 3 months old he's always been in a walker. So he walks around in that all day long. Should I stop putting him in the walker and just let him roam on the floor? He can pull himself up but he doesnt have balance and when he falls he'll go straight down on his face. What can I do to get him to walk?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:23 PM on Sep. 11, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son actually got to where he preferred to not be in the walker. how many months is your son? i would take him out of it and see what he does. i walked with my son for a while holding both his hands. out of the blue he walked on his own and now sometimes pulls my finger to get me to follow. he'd been in a walker since about 4 months or so. i have heard that having them in there too early can delay normal walking, but im not sure on that. some babies walk later than others, if he continues to not walk you can always consult your pedi.
    imanixon2

Answer by imanixon2 at 8:26 PM on Sep. 11, 2008

• My son was 17 months old before he walked. No worries he will do it when he is ready. I would maybe limit the walker though. They don't have to practice balancing so much in that so maybe that could slow them down...makes since to me but I could be wrong.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:34 PM on Sep. 11, 2008

• I've read that walkers do not help with learning to walk. It teaches them the wrong way to walk and if they are in it alot it can actually hinder them walking. let him crawl aroudn and crawl on things. Pull him up to standing and then sing ring aroudn the rosie and when it says we all fall down, push him back on his butt. And one of the walking toys really helps. The ones that he can pull himself up on and hold on to with wheels so he moves forward. He will fall a few times but he'll learn.
    Kayere

Answer by Kayere at 9:09 PM on Sep. 11, 2008

• Stop putting him in the walker, but don't encourage him to walk, he may not be ready yet. Every kid will fall a few times while learning to walk no big deal. Put him in the walker when he's eating a snack of cheerios or something, but not all the time. There's nothing wrong with letting him roam around on the floor, as long as there isn't anything he can get into, small items that he can choke on, or any other things he can pull on himself, but that's common sense. But yes to answer your question, limit the walker. But don't push him to walk, he will in his own time.
    missthumper86

Answer by missthumper86 at 10:00 PM on Sep. 11, 2008

• He is only 1 years old. is is normal for them not to walk until 18 months. Dont rush things. They are only a baby for a little while. The walker does hinder walking, so let him out and about on his own, and dont worry about it.
    duckey060504

Answer by duckey060504 at 10:16 PM on Sep. 11, 2008

• Letting your little one crawl around and pull himself up will help him to learn balance and coordination for walking. However, there is no timetable of when babies should start walking. My daughter (now 27) started walking at 13 months. Her son, my grandson started walking at 9 months, her daughter, my granddaughter didn't walk until almost 14 months. Every child is different in learning experiences. It doesn't mean they aren't smart, or not developing right.
    LilBitVal

Answer by LilBitVal at 10:18 PM on Sep. 11, 2008

• Take him out of the walker, do not put shoes on him toes help with balance(except for the few that need shoes because of toe crossing under or something along that line, as my son did) let him learn balance, build the muscle tone and everything else needed to be able to walk. The American Academy of pediatrics strongly urges parents not to use walkers, some of their reasons are:
    -walker do not strengthen the muscles in the upper legs and hips
    -walkers actually eliminate the desire to walk
    -walkers present a serious safety hazard
    and more, those above were simple and short did not need a lot of detail
    graybugsmom

Answer by graybugsmom at 2:10 AM on Sep. 12, 2008

• My daughter stayed in her walker almost all the time she played.I later heard it can slow them down walking.Like you I felt worried.But she started walking a few weeks after she turned one year old.No problem.I have a son who just turned 1yr old.He has been in a walker very little his whole life.(he always prefered the floor) and he`s no further along than my daughter.He takes steps but acts as though he`s scared to walk.Your son will be fine.He will walk when he is ready.
    ColorGirl2000

Answer by ColorGirl2000 at 4:58 AM on Sep. 12, 2008