What could it be? A Loud Noise & our house Shook!

The smartest ladies around are here! We were sitting in our house! A Loud Thud occured just now!! Like A tree limb felll on our house! It shook our entire house! What could it be? A answer to our prayers and Santa'sbag fillled with our Christmas wishes? Seriously. My heart is still racing! I have no clue what it could be! DH & I went out with a flash light!! Yes its winter here. Cold & dark!It happened at 8:30pm. But we can't figure it out! Such a loud thud & our house shaking! But we see nothing! I'm looking for serious ideas! Thank you!!

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 9:42 PM on Dec. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Do you live by the airport in dertoit there was a nut job that had an explosive divice on there that went off? I just read about it on-line.
    Anonymous

• Turn on the news. Maybe it was an earthquake. Yes ,earthquakes can occur anywhere in the country.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 9:46 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• Someone's propane tank a few blocks over exploding? It's happened a few times in the last couple years around this area, and when they talk about it on the news they always have people who live like 1/2 a mile away who felt the boom.

A large tree limb falling elsewhere on your block?

A car crash a couple blocks over where you can't see it?
    Anonymous

• hmmm could it of been like someone else that was near you? teenages blasting off bottle rockets or some homemade crap?...maybe someone's house exploded?
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 9:53 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• Let us know what happened when you find out

Answer by admckenzie at 10:11 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• Several years ago I was sitting in my room up on the 2nd floor of our house and heard this loud bang and the whole house shook. It sounded like something exploded and had me running to my windows to check what I could see. We live blocks from a major airport so I thought maybe something happened but saw no smoke or anything.
    Later, on the new, I found out a gas main exploded at the mall 2 miles from the house. It shook the whole area like an earthquake, blew out windows at the mall (in the buildings and cars) and created a giant sinkhole in the parking lot. Luckily no one was seriously injured.
    Just an idea.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:27 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• Maybe a tree limb fell somewhere? Is it snowing in your area? If it is it could be a limb to a tree that fell off due to the snow. If too much snow or ice accumulates on a tree, limbs or even trees can fall down.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 10:38 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• Sounds like a meteorite. A few years ago we had one come over really low and the whole house started shaking, I thought it was an earthquake. And it made a HUGE noise. The next day they said on the news a meterorite had passed over and landed about 800 miles south of where it came over us.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 3:46 AM on Dec. 26, 2009

• We have that happen often here---we live by an airforce and Army base. Do yuou have one near you?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:19 AM on Dec. 29, 2009