Old Testament as a Shadow

The old Testament is a shadow of the New Testament. I understand the sacrifical laws, they lead to Jesus' sacrifice on the cross for our sins. But I don't understand what did the Sabbath stand for? Why don't christians today observe the 7th day? Why do the christians today not adhere to the food laws? What were these shadows of? Why do we no longer follow the feasts except passover? Well we don't actually celebrate it at the right time because the Catholic church did away with it when they persecuted Asia Minor for refusing to move the time they celebrated the passover.

I'm no Angel

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:48 PM on Dec. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• the sabbath is the day of rest..god created the world in 6 days and on the seventh rested. The traditional day for Jewish religious day of rest is saturday with the week starting on sunday.

The old testament is also where the kosher Jewish tradition originated. There is a complete list of clean and unclean foods in the old testament.

The old testament was written before the new testament.... centuries before actually. the new testament draws upon the old test. but the old testament is a collection of its own. Its an amazing piece of literature(a collection really) that amazingly has survived and been translated into every language possible.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:23 AM on Dec. 26, 2009

• the old testement is used a lot today.. in the jewish traditions. I just took an entire semester studying the old testement pretty much front to back. TI was great
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:06 AM on Dec. 26, 2009

• I can't understand how any believer could discount the OT. It is the only Bible the believers in the NT had! When the noble Bereans "searched the Scriptures daily" to test Paul's words, they were searching the OT(Acts 17:11).

The Sabbath stands as a sign between the True God and His people--as a memorial of Creation and in honor of the one Who created. It's was and is not a shadow of anything:

"I am the LORD your God; walk in my statutes, and keep my judgments, and do them; And hallow my sabbaths; and they shall be a sign between me and you, that ye may know that I am the LORD your God." (Ezekiel 20:19,20)

"...For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it."( Exodus 20:11)
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 9:27 AM on Dec. 26, 2009

• We don't keep the ordinances and feasts because Jesus' has performed what these things promised. Jesus is our passover lamb.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 9:37 AM on Dec. 26, 2009

• and the jewish traditions still adhere to the old laws because they do not believe that jesus was the mesiah but that he is still to come.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 11:41 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• "I am the LORD your God; walk in my statutes, and keep my judgments, and do them; And hallow my sabbaths; and they shall be a sign between me and you, that ye may know that I am the LORD your God." (Ezekiel 20:19,20)

I know that you pus the sabbath verse under this but since we are no longer under the feasts why did you post this verse?
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 2:42 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• ***** Judaism is the template for Christianity and Christ painted the pictures! *****

The Jews had passover and ate the lamb as God instructed, after Christ who is the Lamb of God, we are instructed as Jesus said before his death to "eat my flesh and drink my blood" The Eucerist replaces the passover lamb.

Food laws were old law Christ is the new law we no longer have to adhere to the old food laws.. We have the new law given to us by Christ!
    Joanne27

Answer by Joanne27 at 5:27 PM on Dec. 31, 2009