my five month old is sick

he has a runny nose and its hard for him to breathe. i try to suck the snot out but it just upsets him and he cries, then it gets worse.
is there anything i can do for him?
i've heard of saline drops... is this a solution?

krisew90

Asked by krisew90 at 9:51 PM on Dec. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try a cool mist humidifier at night, vicks baby rub on feet and chest while baby is sleeping, take baby into bathroom and run shower on full blast hot water and set on stoll with baby while baby breathes in the mist. Should helpa ton! And keep sucking his nose out...he may hate it, but its best for him. He also may need to be on a nebulizer machine so taking him in to dr is a good idea too. My son gets sick when the weather changes a lot, and has to take nebulizer treaments when it changes. Good luck momma...I know its a rough time for ya right now. Hope he gets to feeling better soon.

p.s. Also try proping bed up with blankets underneath mattress for elevation to help with breathing
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 11:10 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• If it's hard for him to breathe, you need to take him in, regardless of it being Christmas. If he's struggling to breathe it's more than just a stuffy nose.
    Anonymous

• Go in your bathroom and turn your shower on let the hot water run and sit in there for about 15-20 minutes and let him breath in the steam it will help him alot to breathe better. If you have vapor bath johnsons-n-johnsons then put some of that in the shower also and just stand or sit in there with your LO and you will see a difference. The snot will come out quicker and the baby will sleep better also. GL I hope your LO feels better soon.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 10:00 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• Calling the doctor or bringing him to the ER is usually the smart way to go if he's having trouble breathing. Just a thought.
    Anonymous

• If its more of a breathing issue take him in always. But if its just due to his nasty nose then fine. And him crying is breaking up allll that nastyness in his throat and nose, let him scream and suck it alll out. Hes not in pain just mad about it. And a drop of saline solution up the nose count to ten and suck every 20-30 mi9n is good. A humidifier works WONDERS and so does baby vicks under the nose and neck. And during the day take a hot shower WITH him so you know its not tooo hot. Before you get out SUCK THE NOSE. My daughter HATED it but has learned to deal . Cus in the end she can breathe. lol
    mommymeof2

Answer by mommymeof2 at 11:51 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• If you're breast feeding, then nurse him in the steamy bathroom. It forces him to breath out of his nose and the steam will do more good. Johnson's vapor bath is also great. You can also put a couple drops of breast milk in his nose...instead of the saline solution to help loosen the congestion. Put a pillow UNDER one side of the crib mattress so that he sleeps on an incline...or let him sleep in a swing or bouncer with an incline. This will help drainage throughout the night. Also, I've found that a little motrin helps congestion...it is an anti inflammatory and reduces swelling in airways and increases air flow. However, the general recommendation is not to give motrin until 6 mo....but I'd give it in these circumstances...just a reduced amount. Good Luck.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 12:26 AM on Dec. 26, 2009

• My daughter got my cold when she was 3 weeks old. At that time, she was too little for any meds really.

I didn't take her to the ER. I checked her temp regularly and made sure that was okay. I also had her in the bouncer seat and brought her into the bathroom. I cracked the door a little bit so it didn't get too hot in there, and let her breathe in the steam. I also bought some Little Noses drops for her nose to help her breathe. She then slept in her swing so it was easier for her to breathe. I kept her in the same room with me 24/7 to make sure she didn't need anything.

She was fine 3 days later. =)
    Itsonono

Answer by Itsonono at 2:29 AM on Dec. 26, 2009