Smoking in front of kids and pregnant women

I am curious to get everyone's thoughts on this. I just spent Christmas out of state with my family at my parents house. I am pregnant and have a 2 year old son. 3 people in my family smoke and although they think they were being nice by smoking in one room of the house (with the door open) really it didn't matter because the smoke traveled throughout the house. I told my mom I didn't want to be around it or have my son around it, especially because he has a medical condition. Long story short I ended up spending half the time in the guest room with myu son to get away from the smoke. Am I asking too much for people to not smoke around me or my child!!?? Years ago I used to be a smoker and wouldn't dream of doing what they did. At one point they even lit up at the table we were sitting at for dinner thinking it was ok because we were outside, granted we were on a porch but that's not technically outside in my opinion.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 PM on Dec. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think ppl like that are self centered and uncaring and ignorant for smoking around non-smokers especially children and a pregnant woman.
    Anonymous

• I am a smoker but I did not smoke when I was pregnant and I do not smoke around my kids. However, A while ago, I was out with my husband at a mexican restaurant. We sat at a table outside because it was designated as the smoking area (we did not have our kids with us), we ordered some drinks and were both smoking a cigarette when a family with a young son and newborn baby sat at the table next to us. It made me feel very uncomfortable and they did'nt light up so I assumed that they were non smokers. I guess my point is that I try to be respectful and not subject other people to my habit, but I think that non smokers shouldn't sit in a smoking area and complain about it. (not saying that this was the same as your case) In your case, the family members should have gone outside.
    ScarlettBe1

Answer by ScarlettBe1 at 10:33 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• Yeah smoking in another room with the door open makes no sense in keeping the smoke away from you and your kid. And i am a smoker. Outside. I have been there, a family gathering but it ends up being me and my girls alone in another part of the house. lol I learned to speak up. Simple. Take it outside, your place or not. I am here with my girls and my two year old doesnt smoke. It is habit though. keep that in mind. I do with my mamma. And she says" I smoked around your girls and your still alive" bless her old crochety heart anyways. lolololol
    mommymeof2

Answer by mommymeof2 at 11:42 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• You should have made this clear before you went. I would not bring a child into a house with smokers.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:04 AM on Dec. 26, 2009

• rkoloms, I did make it clear, very clear and when I got there it was a different situation, obviously. When I''m 3,000 miles from home there's nowhere for me to go. Secondly, it's not my house, if they won't listen to me what am I supposed to do? Besides do what I did and stay in the guest room with the door closed. Why don't you offer up some advice on the situation instead of being nasty like you always seem to be. You must live a sad, sad life.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Dec. 26, 2009