Would this bother anyone else?

We went to Mass this morning at 11:00. We figured it would be less crowded than any of the Christmas Eve Masses, since most people tend to go to those.

It was a little crowded, and we did end up having to sit upstairs in the "cry room". It wasn't that bad though, because there are speakers in there, and you get to look down into the church through big windows. It was nice that they put up more chairs, and it started out pleasant enough. Until a family with 3 young kids walked in... 15 minutes late. The 2 younger kids were terrible, and were running around and talking loud, and one even had a play cell phone that played music (really loud). The mom sat there braiding the older daughter's hair, the dad did nothing to rein in the kids, and the younger ones started taking their toys and other things, and scratching on the walls! This went on for the full hour, and we left at communion.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:50 PM on Dec. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• 15 mins late you miss the readings. I don't go to the cry room. My church does have one :) I also want my children to learn how to behave in church. I allow the younger ones to take a pen and one piece of paper, however, the year they start taking First Holy Communion classes they are no longer allowed to take paper. I tell them if they are old enough to understand the point of Holy Communion they are old enough to sit through Mass.

As for this family, the cry room is not a play room. This family held no consideration to other families.
    .
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 12:20 AM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Yes.
    Anonymous

• (cont)

I understand that we were technically in the "cry room", but it is also where they put overflow for big holiday services. Besides, when my kids were young, I never let them behave like that, even in the cry room. I tried to be patient with this family, I really did, but it was really hard to keep my thoughts pleasant while they were there. Oh, and I forgot to mention that the dad's phone rang, twice!

Maybe God was testing my patience today... I think I failed miserably, if that's the case.

Anonymous

• When I would sit in the cry room I would control my children, but not everyone does. It is a place, to some degree, a place for noisy or unruly children. That being said, I would definitely reign in my kids if they were annoying people.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:00 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• I am proud of you for going. Patience, sometimes moms need guidance too. :) Think, maybe this is the only time they come, it is good they had a positive experience right?
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 11:24 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• it probably would've distracted me a bit, as i would wonder when/if the parents would act upon 'reining' the kids in. but other than that, the only annoyance i hope i'd feel would be that i wasn't more compassionate. you call this family out for being '15 mins late'..i guess that was the first clue that they'd be disruptive?? holiday church services are always more attended than regular services..any regular attendee knows this, and will usually accomodate themselves for the extra crowd, and sit there and worship beside them. yes, some parents seem to never 'rein in' their kids, whether its in a public place, such as a restaurant, the doc's office, or church. is it annoying? yes, it can be. but i think we need to be a bit more 'forgiving', especially at church, in the crying room! since you had it all together, perhaps you should've offered some help, or a quieter activity for these kids....???
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:25 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• i know its a place for noisy kids and all but, my son is very very active and vocal. i dont even sit in the overflow room anymore. I sit in this other room, there is a speaker and TV where I can watch the speaker give his talk. I just feel bad sitting in the room where everyone is trying to listen and my son is going bananas playing. cant wait until he's a bit older and can sit and listen, at least for a little a while, lol.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 11:59 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• I understand what you are saying thehairnazi, but the cry room is HUGE! I was clear at the other end of the room, with my own children (one sitting quietly on my lap), and there were a ton of people sitting in chairs between me and this family. However, they were very distracting and really acted as though they didn't want to even be there. I never said I wasn't forgiving, I was only wondering if it would bother other people the way it bothered me. I did end up leaving at communion because I grew tired of the noise. I guess I wasn't compassionate enough, I am far from perfect, and the first to admit that. I guess I'm the only one that would find it distracting.

Anonymous

• op, i didn't mean to scold you..i only hoped you (and everyone else) would reconsider that perhaps not every family is as ready to worship, in any church service, as you might be. and look at yourselves, first. if you were truly in the worshipping 'mood', you would be more understanding of things going on around you that you have no idea about. perhaps this family was having one of those days..we all do. perhaps either parent had just said, ''well, lets just get to church, and we'll deal with 'whatever', later.''..we don't know why other people aren't pious in their worship, or for lack of better words, don't have the right attitude when at church. but really, what is the right attitude? caring more about those around you and the ill behavior of their kids, or the actual worship? point is, you don't know how it feels to walk in someone else's shoes. . .would you rather someone not come at all, then to be late and noisy???
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 1:20 AM on Dec. 26, 2009

• thehairnazi, I am trying to be patient with your scolding. However, I only asked a simple question. I did not ask for a lecture. I have ADHD, CAPD and other issues that make it difficult to concentrate, and to properly process the things that I hear. So, those kinds of things can really bother me. I was wondering if it bothered other people, or if it was just me and my disorders that were the problem. So I shall throw your scolding right back to you. You do not walk in my shoes, so do not lecture unless you are prepared to be embarrassed by what you say.

I guess I have to assume that it is my disorders that cause me to be bothered by such things, according to thehairnazi.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:15 AM on Dec. 26, 2009