Sleeping trouble....uuuuggg

my son refuses to sleep for naps and at night..we have a routine, but nothing works...we are thinking since he doesnt go to daycare...for now to just let him stay up until he crashes and just sleep until he wakes up....I just wondered if anyone else has had this issue and if our solution has worked for anyone else.........

chaoshappens

Asked by chaoshappens at 10:51 PM on Dec. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• How old is he? Cut out the naps, unless he falls asleep on his own. Even though it is winter make sure he gets plenty of exercise. And not just empty calories in food as well. Lotsa protein and veggies. And my 7 yr old and 2 yr old both go to sleep at 8 now. But only in the last 4 mths. before that it was 9-930. I dont agree with the whole wait until they hit the floor idea. I did that for a long time with my oldest and it turned into a HUGE disaster. Especially during the day. She actually seemed MORE tired. Hopefully that helps.
    mommymeof2

Answer by mommymeof2 at 11:14 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• A well rested child will go to sleep quicker and stay asleep longer than one who is overly tired. As someone who has a great sleeper and a consistent routine, I can tell you that any interruption in the sleep schedule causes sleep issues ...sometimes for days. Keep the routine consistent, make sure your toddler gets exercise and fresh air as often as possible. Don't be afraid to leave him in bed awake. Mine will stay in her crib for 30-45 minutes awake either before she falls asleep or in the morning when she wakes up. She has learned to entertain herself and is content in there for the most part. Toddlers are smarter than we give them credit for and they do what works. If screaming in bed gets you to let them stay up, they'll do it. If you teach them that they'll be in their crib for a certain amount of time, awake or asleep, most will decide to use the time to sleep. Oh, a lovey to sleep with is important at this ag
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 12:40 AM on Dec. 26, 2009

• well your new method is not a good idea. some kids do out grow naps younger than others BUT a good schedule is what they need. You do need to be firm and get that baby on a schedule. Maybe it needs adjusted to what his or her new sleeping habits are. I have had kids on bad schedules before. My oldest was close to 2 1/2 before I put him on a schedule with his 13mos old sister and OMG once they adapted it was heavenly. This was a few years ago but now we have 3 kids 20mos, 5 and 6 all on good schedules! I agree consistancy is the best. My kids know they have to go to bed and its really not a fight but at one time bed time was a huge battle that was a task to over come.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 AM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Your'e making an assumption that a child will fall asleep on his/her own eventually. However, it could be that they'll hit a point at which they are too tired to fall asleep and the problem will get worse. Even as a SAHM, you'll find that an irratic schedule will make your life tought. We've been through several periods when we had trouble getting our now 2.5 yr old son to sleep. TYpically adjusting naptime and activity level during the day helped solve it. Just be careful not to change your routine too quickly or drastically. That can cause more problems than it solves. You might look into Elizbeth Pantley's No cry Sleep Solution books and/or web sites. I found useful ideas there on how to figure out the problem and solve it. She disagrees with the Cry it Out approach so it's easier on parental nerves! Good luck!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 2:33 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Some people thrive on schedules, some don't. Kids are the same. Even young children that live in the right environment may be able to sleep when they are tired.

My kids pretty much stayed up until they were ready to fall asleep and woke up when they wanted. There was a large age gap between my middle son and my youngest. When my youngest was 2-8 or so he could stay up as long as he wasn't bothering anyone. If he was bothering anyone and it was dark out, he had to go to bed. It only took a couple of times of going to bed alone to realize being good was a good idea.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:18 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• my niece did this. she could run all day and still not sleep, until she completely exhausted herself to the point of just passing out. she was about 3 when she was diagnosed with a sleeping disorder. i'm sorry, i dont know what it's called. she is almost 21 now and is still being treated...
    racingirl

Answer by racingirl at 1:34 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• i tried to let my daughter go until she crashed it didnt work. She got so tired she couldnt sleep. she would just cry and cry. I put my daughter in her crib and sat next to her and read a story to her or just sat there and closed my eyes, after a few minutes of crying she fell asleep. she still doesnt sleep thru the night but its much better than it use to be.
    youraddiction66

Answer by youraddiction66 at 8:55 PM on Dec. 28, 2009