can't find the answer for parvo online....

i love standard poodles and was lucky to find a male one that is 1 and half yrs old for free. i went to look at the dog and asked some questions about why she was getting rid of the dog. she said that this last litter had contracted parvo and didn't sell any of the puppies that made it. she stopped breeding so not to have this happen again. so she finally needed or wanted to down size. she said something that kinda concerned me. she said that parvo could live up to a 2 yrs in the dog, is this true? and if it is will it effect my dogs? they have been vacinated for this but what if i was late with their shots for whatever reason could he infect them and how soon? is live parvo he has or dormant? i really like this dog but don't want to risk the health on m current dogs.

melody77

Asked by melody77 at 11:39 PM on Dec. 25, 2009 in Pets

• It won't be contagious now. Go ahead and get the dog. Also your dog has a higher rate of survival if you treat parvo at home, providing you know what your doing.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:17 AM on Dec. 26, 2009

• found this link you have to scorll down to the 3rd or 4th paragraph but it should help you.
    http://www.workingdogs.com/parvofaq.htm
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 11:44 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• it didn't say that it could live in the dog for up to 2 yrs. i don't have parvo in my yard. unless this new dog has it active in it then brought it into my yard. that is what i'm trying to figure out. online it says lives in envoirnments for months but not about the dogs.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 11:56 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• Don't do it. Parvo is serious. My dog got it and she was vaccinated. She was also a single pet. It was AWFUL, she had water and blood coming out of her butt, and the smell I'll never forget that smell. The treatment was 2800bucks and there was no guarrantee it would work. It takes over really fast and it's scary. You're better off not opening that can of worms.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:57 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• Call your vet and you will get all the answers. Do that before you bring the dog home. Just call your vet.
    mommymeof2

Answer by mommymeof2 at 12:17 AM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Parvo can live in the ground for up to 7 years, the only thing that kills parvo is Bleach. If your dogs have been properly vaccinated then bringing this dog into your home should be fine. Parvo is very serious but if the dog hasn't had parvo in the last 10 days then he shouldn't be contagious.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Dec. 26, 2009

• I wouldnt chance it, I got a puppy once from a less than reputable breeder and it ended up costing me over 3500 bucks to treat the puppy. She made it, and is still an awesome dog, but it is expensive as hell and even then there is no guarantee that the dog will even make it. I ended up having to have my parent keep my other dog for almost a year, because my vet said that she had to test negative for it, then clean anything that any fluid from had touched with bleach, then wait at least 6 months to let her around any other dogs.
    Allie_kat1

Answer by Allie_kat1 at 1:51 AM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Parvo is highly contagious to unprotected dogs, and the virus can remain infectious in ground contaminated with fecal material for five months or more if conditions are favorable. Extremely hardy, most disinfectants cannot kill the virus, however chlorine bleach is the most effective and inexpensive agent that works, and is commonly used by veterinarians. The ease with which infection with Parvo can occur in any unvaccinated dog must be stressed. The virus is extremely hardy in the environment. Withstanding wide temperature fluctuations and most cleaning agents. Parvo can be brought home to your dog on shoes, hands and even car tires. It can live for many months outside the animal. Any areas that are thought to be contaminated with parvo should be thoroughly washed with chlorine bleach diluted 1 ounce per quart of water. Dogs and puppies can contract parvo even if they never leave their yards.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 2:04 AM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Yeah, I'm sure the OP will be thanking you when her dogs have parvo. OMG, bringing an animal that has been around parvo and exposing other animals is really wrong. It doesn't just affect your pets, it hurts your neighbors pets, and you could track it into someone's home around their dog. THe vaccination doesn't keep them from getting it, it just lowers your chances. Just like a flu shot. I hope you do the right thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Believe an anon or a vet tech.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:45 PM on Dec. 26, 2009