Have any of you actually overcome an eating disorder...

or is it always going to creep up when the times get tough? Been in recovery for ten years since active ED. Had 2 small relapses, but since my first child, I have been in slow spiral of relaspe since she was born. (16 months.) It crept up and I didn't realize what was going on until I am where I am now. Still in my right mind enough to know I dont want my daughter to grow up thinking about her weight and hating herself like i do. There are no support groups where I live, and my friends dont know what to think or do or say. what can they really? anyways, just wanted to know if any of you have every really overcome this..... need some encouragment. Thanks...
ps please dont judge we all have our issues

tatmum

Asked by tatmum at 11:48 PM on Dec. 25, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I had one as a teen and i did overcome it (if you look at me now you would think there is no way she had a ED that made her so thin) I do find that i will forget to eat and not notice till 9 pm and that is a side effect because sometimes you just relapse even for a day without realizing it (depending of course on which one you had) Right now I am having to be very careful because i do need to and want to lose weight ( I am not at a healthy weight) so my DH is helping I had to go back to food journals and he checks in to make sure i am eating meals and i only excercise when he is home.

You can keep control, I can tell that you have it in you because you are aware and your remembering to ask for help those 2 things right there are the hardest things. Do you have a SO that can be your support? for me my DH has been the best support ever.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 11:57 PM on Dec. 25, 2009

• Yah, I know I am grateful i am aware... I know its because of her! I cried when I found out I was having a girl because I didn't want her to go through this!! My SO is in college ten years after highschool, and with a one year old that is tough! I feel bad burdening him with this as well...? I dont know. Its hard to talk to anyone about it that has not been in your shoes. they have no idea what is going on in your head!! thanks for the advice!!
    tatmum

Answer by tatmum at 12:00 AM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Along with many other things, I was bulemic for most of my teen years. I still have the urge to do it almost everyday. The trick is learning what triggers the need to throw up or to not eat. Mainly, it's feeling out of control (I'm also a "cutter." I fight this batlle a lot more than I fight bulemia). When I'm on the verge of doing it, I stop and think "how can I get the control in my life back?" Even if it seems like something that is totally out of your hands, you can still fix something about it.

Being so unhappy with your weight that you feel you have to result to an eating disorder is usually more than a weight problem. To answer your question, you will always be labled as having an eating disorder in the same way that a recovering alchoholic is still an alchoholic or as in my case, a cutter is always going to be a cutter. But, once you learn how to control it, you stop doing that behavior.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 12:10 AM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Sara have you tried the rubberbands? my BFF does this during times of high stress and she says it works well and helps to clear her head to get control again.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:16 AM on Dec. 26, 2009

• By rubber bands do you mean wearing one and snapping yourself with it?
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 12:39 AM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Yes, she wears one and keeps them in her purse also just in case.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:06 AM on Dec. 26, 2009

• I've never done that or thought of it. Hmm..might be something to try.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 1:17 AM on Dec. 26, 2009