whats the highest temp ur baby doesnt have to go?

my baby has fever but i want to know what the highest when i should really worry? shes 16months and shes been having fever..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:30 AM on Dec. 26, 2009 in Health

• well what is the fever? Well if its over 103 I then do warm baths, washcloths on face, of course tylenol and if I can't get it to go down I call the doctor. I also go by how they act. My kids can be 103 and be acting fine! This is not the case everytime but my girls tend to run high temps...If you are concerned you can always take the baby in better to be safe. I have 3 so I am pretty good at getting it down and don't freak out but I always watch them closely.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 1:43 AM on Dec. 26, 2009

• 105 probably is when to go in and even then they proabably will just make sure it's viral and not an infection. If it's viral then they will give fever meds and send you home.

Don't listen to all the bad advice on here about fevers. I see women jump to conclusions that fevers are bad. They are not. They are your bodies defense. Contrary to belief a high fever like 105 is NOT going to cause brain damage. Your child could suffer a seizure with a fever, but it's not how high the temp is, but how fast it spikes.

Also it really all depends on how they are acting and their other symptoms as well.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:07 AM on Dec. 26, 2009

• OMG don't listen to them those temperatures are deadly!!!!!!! At 100.1 is what doctors tell you higher than that is very bad. If you can get it to go down within 1 hour then they don't have to be seen but above 100.1 for longer than an hour is not good and they need to be seen right away. PP's you guys are going to kill your kids.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 2:26 AM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Okay, it's true, you don't have to take your child to the ER for just a fever if it is below 105 according to MANY of the pediatricians I have spoken with. If the fever is 102-104 and you give Tylenol and it does not come down within an hour, they need to go in. If they are exhibiting any other worrisome signs (lethargy, incessant crying, or any other symptom you feel is not right) then take them to the ER. Here is one of the many websites I know of that recommends NOT going to the Dr or ER for a minor fever.

http://kidshealth.org/parent/general/body/fever.html#

Good luck! Hope she feels better soon.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:58 AM on Dec. 26, 2009

• and I did just want to add most doctors don't even consider it a fever til it is over 100, don't recommend tylenol or motrin til its over 100.5, and no necessary dr visit til over 103 and not able to come down, unless its in a infant younger than 3 months.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:59 AM on Dec. 26, 2009

• One other thing you should consider with a fever, is she drinking ok or is she getting dehyrdrated from it? If she isn't drinking then she needs to be seen.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:50 AM on Dec. 26, 2009

• It's not the temp, it's how they're acting. A kid can have a 104 temp but be fine (we have one of the best doctors in the state, he's won many awards for his work in pediatrics!) and another kid can have a normal temp but be lethargic & really sick. Sure, spiking a high fever can cause a febrile seizure, but a fever needs to run through the body to get the crud out that's causing it. Sure, a mom's first thought when their child has a fever is "bring it down! bring it down!" but if allowed to stay up it gets the crud out quicker and gets back to normal sooner. When *you* have a fever, what do you want to do? Climb under the covers and sweat it out! May not seem to make sense for a child, but it's the best thing for them too - keep them hydrated and let them "sweat it out"! A high temp is not going to kill a kid, like one pp said - a fever is simply a sign that the body is fighting something off and needs to keep fighting!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Dec. 26, 2009

• She said BABY not toddler or little kid!! If a baby has a fever it is a sign of some kind of infection, and babies don't have all the immunities needed to fight infections, so if you let them 'sweat it out' it could cause more problems. When it comes to your child's health why in the hell would you take the chance? Get them seen to make sure that they are ok, you never know the cause of the fever and running a fever for too long is very dangerous. A BABY shouldn't run a temp about 100.4...
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 5:37 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Oh lordy, just google it. Fevers are the body's way of fighting off whatever is ailing the child. I rarely bring my children's fevers down unless they ACT like they need it brought down. Not acting like themselves. I do not bring it down if it's under 104.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 1:18 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Yes because internet sources are first person sources of good information. I can post a medical looking website that says giving children alcohol is healthy. Check with the doctor, they actually have good sources of information not freaking google.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:09 AM on Dec. 28, 2009