Homeschool reader

My child is in 4th grade, home schooled, and is dyslexic. She is currently ready the Robinson Crusoe reader. She needs my help on some of the words, as she forgets. Anyway, my question is...would this be an acceptable reading level for a 4th grader? Does anyone else have this issue with their child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:50 AM on Dec. 26, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• There are online guides that can give you an accurate grade/age level of your child's reading. You can do Dibels tests or any others that you find. I used those with my reading students.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 2:22 AM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Your daughter should be eligible for standardized testing through the local school system.

You need to better educate yourself on educational milestones if you are going to successfully homeschool.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:29 AM on Dec. 26, 2009

• I do have a homeschooled child who has similar reading issues, but I can't help you with determining whether or not that is an appropriate reading level for a fourth grader. We threw the whole idea of grade levels, appropriate reading levels, etc. out the window because we knew they did not and never would suit him.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 5:49 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• I am homeschooling my 5th grade bipolar, ODD son right now. it is hard ! Somedays I feel so emotionally abused. However, there are very limited services in my area so they treat him like he belongs in juvie instead of really needing special ed. I don't know about appropriate reading levels. We just finish what work the district gives us. We complete bare minimums.
    How are her math skills? is she stronger there? Who do you work through? Can your Office of Education give you assistence?
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 8:33 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• You know what? ANY reading is acceptable for a dyslexic. Homeschooled or not. The fact you have your child reading is good, that it is Robinson Crusoe is good. Keep reading, every night, every day. Include books all the time, from manuals to cook books. Sounds like you are doing great. Look into the library system for a good set of grade level reading lists. :)
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 11:16 PM on Jan. 1, 2010