Holy

What does it mean *to Christians* to keep a day holy?

I'm no Angel

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:39 AM on Dec. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• In Jewish communities, Sabbaths are truly set apart from the rest of the week. (Indeed, the Hebrew word for "holy"—as in, "Remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy"—means, literally, "set apart.")

Take a day to rest,relax,and focus on family and God...
    CuteandCurvy

Answer by CuteandCurvy at 2:24 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• It means that this day(Sabbath) belongs to the Lord and we are to treat it as such. We are to cease from our worldly cares,words,pursuits and thoughts replacing them with the things of God. It is a day of worship,thanksgiving, prayer, meditation,and reflection. It is a day to spend with family and friends and for ministering to the sick and shut-in. It's a sign of Whom we serve and why we serve Him (Exodus 20:8-11;Ezekiel 20:12)

"If thou turn away thy foot from the Sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the Sabbath a delight, the holy of the Lord, honorable; and shalt honour Him, not doing thine own ways, not finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words: Then shalt thou delight thyself in the Lord; and I will cause thee to ride upon high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it" (Isaiah 58:13,14).
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 8:56 AM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Okay so you can't work. Do you cook? Shower? Read your bible? Change diapers? pick up toys? Can you be specific?

I am not the op but I am also interested.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Dec. 26, 2009

----------------
    It's not about what we can't do, but what we don't have to do! It's blessing to drop out of the rat-race for a while.

I prepare our meals on Friday and warm them up on Sabbath. When my kids were younger, yes, I changed their diapers. We don't do ANY cleaning or unnecessary labor. Yes,I shower. We read our Bible, have devotions, take nature walks, play Bible trivia games, sing songs, visit nursing homes and hospitals,eat over at some friends' house,just relax and enjoy all that God has blessed us with!

-------------
    Yeah,that! LOL
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 3:30 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• So can I rent a video and sit down with my family to watch it? Can I prepare a lunch that I know everyone will love? Or even prepare a pot roast in the crock?

I'm no Angel
    Anonymous