Transitioning to Toddler Bed

I am curious to know what led you to transition your toddler from the crib to a toddler bed. For example, I know that once they start climbing out of the crib its time to move them. Any other reasons you would or wouldn't do it?

armywife1229

Asked by armywife1229 at 11:04 AM on Dec. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• we got our little girl a toddler bed at 8 months when she started walking by herlsef real good. she never realy slept in her crib anyway,just for naps. so now she sleeps in her toddler bed for naps. she gets up byherself and walks on out to the living room, she loves it. we tought her feet first when getting off of it and the coutch and she hasnt feel yet.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 12:39 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• My daughter is 17 months, and she is still in her crib. she does not climb so I am not concerned yet. I am planning on transitioning her soon. We are TTC and so I would like to get her into a toddler bed before another baby comes along that way theres not a bunch of big changes for her at once.
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 1:13 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• We moved our son at 22 months when he climbed out. Not exactly ideal since he was quite happy in his crib but he adjusted to the idea (we moved directly to a regular bed). The other reason to move might be if your child reached the maximum height for the crib or turned 3 (the age at which moving is recommended). I wouldn't rush it if you don'[t have to. The adjustment is typically easier when they're older and understand the ocncept.
    Anonymous

• My just moved out 17 month old into his because he was climbing out... we didn't want him to get hurt falling.
    A friend of mine just moved her son too because they are expecting another baby in a few months and wanted to make the change before the new baby arrived.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:17 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• My 15 month old flat out REFUSES to sleep in her crib. She will just scream. She can't climb out yet, but she won't sleep either so it's a big waste of time to let her CIO (which I hate) when she'll just keep going not sleeping. So, I put her in a "big girl bed" which atm is the crib mattress on the floor because I can't afford another bed right now...
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 9:22 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• My husband caught our son trying to lift his leg over the crib like he wanted to climb out so we did the switch, but it was a crib turned toddler bed and I still don't think he actually realizes he gets out of it. in 2 weeks he will be in a twin bed and that will be the real test!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:36 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• we have a toddler bed for our 16 mo son, but we're not going to start letting him use it until we move. that's one less thing we have to pack back up and move. lol but, i'll be starting out w/ naps in it to see how he does, then go to nighttime.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 12:26 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• We moved our son (26 months) to his "big boy bed" because his baby brother will be born any day now. skipped the toddler bed all together and took our "guest bed" and put in on the floor so my little boy has his own queen size bed. He thinks it is very cool. He can get up when ever he wants and play with his toys.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:55 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• I moved my baby around 10 months old because she would not sleep in a crib anymore she was throwing herself out of the crib . She was a early walker so she could already walk and climb at this time so we switched her to a big girl bed and she has been fine ever since she loves her bed.
    BellazBabyMomma

Answer by BellazBabyMomma at 2:24 AM on Dec. 28, 2009