How can I change my son's name?

Has anyone gone through this? We had a name we picked out and now that he's here, he's 3 weeks old and I cannot get used to his name. It sounds fake to me, and when others say it it doesn't sound right. We seriously goofed on this one, the name just does not fit his cute little face! :(
Who do I contact about changing this? We already have his social security card and his birth certificate should be in the mail as I type this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Dec. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I *believe* that up until the child is a yr old, you can contact the Dept. of Vital Statistics and simply tell them you want to change his name. It seems that when I had my oldest (and this was almost 9 yrs ago) that they gave me a brochure when I filled out his birth certificate that explained all the details of naming your baby and that it said up to a yr, you could change it, and after a yr you would have to go thru the courts to get it legally changed. Oh, and this was in FL, I don't know if different states have different laws on this or not. Hope that helps some.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:32 AM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Yeah, I'd do it quickly. I wanted to do a name change and now it will cost $250 so I'm not having it done. Call your state's vital statistics office (sometimes at the health dept) and just ask. It may be on their website as well

Answer by admckenzie at 12:20 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• We wanted to change my son's name and it was going to be like changing an adult's name. We would have to file with the court, run notices, go to court and have the judge decide. A lawyer was recommended. It was going to cost hundreds of dollars.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:24 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Google your dept of heath birth certificates or vital statistics. For an infant, it will likely not be difficult or expensive.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 12:59 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• You have to tell us what his name is, the curiosity is killing me!

Can you use his middle name instead?
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:29 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Tell us the name!!!

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 1:32 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• i wanna know the name too!!!!sealed lipi wont tell!!!  LOL

MamaSusieQ045

Answer by MamaSusieQ045 at 2:08 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• I want to know his name lol...you can answer anon lol
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 2:33 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Yes, please tell us! No fair asking that question and leaving out the name! :)
    Jemma4000

Answer by Jemma4000 at 2:39 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• You guys are silly... his name is Moses.
    Anonymous