Why are teenage girls so nasty and catty to one another?

When boys have disagreements, they move on. They play in groups and include everyone. Girls are exclusive, mean, and hold grudges. Why is this? What tips can you give to parents of teenage girls for coping with it?

happinessathome

Asked by happinessathome at 11:27 AM on Dec. 26, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Its just to establish a pecking order...boys do it to, but normally its with the threat of violence.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Because adults think it is normal behavior and allow it to happen.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:08 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• When boys have disagreements, they move on. They play in groups and include everyone

I am not sure what boys you have met that act like this but I have a soccer team of 40 boys ages 11-14 who would disprove this theory in a hearbeat.
    Anonymous

• Because girls have nasty hormonal problems at this age and if they dont have a mom who can talk openly with them and help them to learn to navigate the waters then you are left with girls who have no skills to recover from a bad encounter. It isnt just the age take a look around CM you see it all the time.

Anonymous

• lol. Why are adult women so nasty and catty to one another? I mean proof positive? look around here. I guess it's something that some never grow out of.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:06 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Most of them are learning it from their mothers and from the shows they're watching on TV. I have 2 teenage daughters and we've talked about this more than once. I think it's disgusting.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 5:12 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• MY DOUGHTER IS 13 AND IM GLADE SHE DONT DO THAT ! FOR SOME RESONE MY DOUGHTER IS SHY AND DONT TALK TO OTHERS THAT SHE DONT KNOW SHE COMES HOME CRYING IF SOME BODY MAKES INFUN OF HER ! MY DOUGHTER GETS PICKED ON ALL THE TIME BECOUSE SHE IS A DISA- KID ! OTHER KIDS DO NOT HAVE A RIGHT TO DO THAT TO MY KIDS OR OTHERS THAT WAY AND OTHERS MOM,DADS THANK ITS FINE ! THAT WHAT REALLY PISSES ME OFF ! ! SORRY IF SOME OF THE WORDS ARE MISS SPELLED !
    Anonymous

• My daughter is picked on at her new school - it has been very hard - we talk often about things - I try to make suggestions for her and love her and give her guidance but there are some really nasty wenches that seem to make sport of picking on the new girl
    happinessathome

Answer by happinessathome at 8:42 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• I really recommend you read Queen Bees and Wannabees. I made my teenager read it too, actually.
    That is what Mean Girls was based on.
    Lovey1234

Answer by Lovey1234 at 11:47 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Honestly, I think its a learned behavior. If their mother, aunts, sisters, cousins etc are like that, that's what they learn.
    There are some girls that can handle that, and others who will learn to avoid it. I managed to avoid it. I have always had terrific friends and there was no petty behavior at all. My daughter whose 10 is learning this too. She recently stopped being friends with a girl who was "mean and bossy" all the time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Dec. 27, 2009