My 9 month old still can't sit alone...

My son is 9 months old today and still isn't sitting on his own. He can for maybe a couple seconds before he topples over. He can stand while holding onto the couch though without me helping him, he usually stands for at least 30 seconds before he falls down. I got him a walker and an activity table for Christmas hoping it would encourage him. I'm kind of worried at this point, he should be sitting alone to play and crawling and standing longer and starting to try to walk...but he's not. I work with him all the time and he's gotten better over time, but he's still nowhere near where he needs to be. Any advice or tips? I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I feel like I'm not doing my job as his mom right...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Dec. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At 9 months a baby should be sitting alone and it is something you should bring up to the baby's doctor at the baby's next visit. The doctor may want to have your baby evaluated and maybe some physical therapy would help.

Baby walkers are not recommended for any baby because they can mess up baby development. A baby that already has developmental delays should not use a baby walker at all. There are some things that can have a lasting effect with develpmental delays including how baby's eyes work and baby walkers may cause permanent problems. They aren't even sold in many countries because they are a safety hazard and bad for infant development.

It would be wise to take it back and get your money back.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:45 AM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Here is an article about infant walkers:

http://www.drgreene.com/21_810.html

"... we have learned that walkers are detrimental to normal development."

"We want our children to be happy. Often their delight is a good measure of what they need -- but sometimes it can lead us astray. Sometimes short-term delight can lead to unfortunate long-term consequences. Children can't think of the future. As parents, part of our role is to do that for them. With each new choice, consider what this teaches your son, how this will affect your son, what are the implications for your son -- over the long haul."

"Along with The American Academy of Pediatrics, I strongly urge parents not to use baby walkers."

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:51 AM on Dec. 26, 2009

• I had the same problem with my 8 month old (she JUST started sitting alone). I got her a walker and it DID help tremendously. Walkers CAN be helpful. The articles that state that walkers can harm development are generalized. In other words, it MAY create a dependency but it won't do it to EVERY baby who uses them. I have heard that it can curve their spines but that's only if you neglect your child by leaving them in them all day...after all too much of a good thing can be a bad thing.

I would say the walker is a good idea but don't solely rely on it to teach you baby how to sit up and walk. Some things are best learned from mommy.

And as an after thought...all babies develop differently. There is no "should do this at this age". Just because your baby doesn't sit up at nine months doesn't mean that he/she won't be far ahead of the rest of other babies by 19 months.
    AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 12:22 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• My grandson wouldn't sit up on his own for the longest time. He wouldn't crawl either. He would lay on his belly then roll to where he wanted to be! My dd worked with him but didn't push him and he finally sat on his own and crawled then walked. They all develop at their own pace. Some just don't want to get the party started but when they do, watch out because they are hard to keep up with after that! He'll be fine. Just have your doctor check him periodcally and voice your concerns to make sure there is nothing wrong but usually it's just that he's not wanting to do it. He will and you will see that you have worried for nothing. It's part of being a good mom

Answer by admckenzie at 12:25 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• baby walkers dont help build leg musiles. tyr a jhonny jumper. also sit ur son in a luanrdy basket with a blanket or something on the other side.we had a little tub i put my baby in and she would hold on to the sides and sit up by herself in it without padding
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 12:37 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Every state has a mandated Early Intervention Program; call your local DPW office to find out who the provider is for your area. Evaluations are provided free of charge and services, if needed, usually are, too. Some states do charge on a sliding scale for EI services, but most don't. However, if yours is one that does & your child has qualifying delays, you may qualify for other governemnt programs that may cover the costs for you. You do not need a referral from your pediatrician to obtain & use services from EI. You have nothing to lose by scheduling an appointment - your child will have a comprehensive developmental review at no cost to you and it will either give you peace of mind that things are fine or give you the information you need to get services started. Many children who utilize EI services catch up quickly & move out of the system by the age of 3, so don't think the worst if your child does qualify.
    Anonymous

• A lot of people and magazines are actually saying walkers are unsafe, and that a jumperoo is the best replacement for that.
    Itsonono

Answer by Itsonono at 1:42 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• how about using a bumbo to help support lower back muscles?? or the boppy?? it will cushion his fall. just a thought.
    Anonymous

• I think you should talk to your child's doctor. You have gotten a lot of advice from people who seem to feel strongly about walkers for babies. I don't think that is what you need to know...I think you need medical evaluation of your baby and then to follow the medical advice. Normally parents don't have to "teach" their babies to sit up or stand or walk. It isn't usually necessary to "work" with a child who is developing normally. The regular everyday interactions and opportunities are usually all a child needs. However, if the child has delays or some other problem there are ways to work with the child to help that child move forward. Start with the doctor and follow up from there. Please don't blame yourself. If you interact with your child and give that child opporunities to play on the floor both interacting with you and on his own, then you are doing all the right things.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 2:03 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• One of my kids was late with all the gross motor stuff like that - because he was too chunky! His little butt was too round to sit still on, and his legs and tummy were so roly-poly he just couldn't do it. Is your baby chunky? That could have something to do with it. Like a couple others said, mention it to your doctor, and also get help from early intervention.
    Anonymous