If you don't buy your kids expensive gifts for Christmas bc that's not what Christmas is about then do you buy them expensive things other times of the year or do they never get expensive things?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Dec. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• Honestly i try to not raise materialistic kids and mine are very young, we dont do gifts on christmas at all and on their birthdays they get one large gift (not nescecarily expensive) and thats it.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 11:55 AM on Dec. 26, 2009

• I don't think that Christmas is about getting gifts...that is what it has become but it shouldn't be that way. Christmas is about GIVING and SHARING....and I don't mean presents. It's about helping others who can't help themselves...it's about being kind to others and being selfless...whether you're making a large donation (aka expensive gift) to charity or volunteering at a soup kitchen (inexpensive gift), it's TRULY the thought that counts.

A gift doesn't have to be "expensive" to mean something....likewise, giving an "expensive" gift doesn't mean that you don't understand the true meaning of Christmas.
    Anonymous

• Children should have (or get) things that they need or things that they want that the family can afford and you think is good for the child. If they family goes to many outdoor places like zoos a wagon would be a good idea. It might be given as a gift if it something the child wants or it might be something the family just buys.

I don't think gifts should be linked to how good a child is. That is one of the problems with the Santa notion.

I don't think gifts should be taken away if a child is bad. Some mothers actually think it is a great idea to punish a child by taking away their most beloved things. Punishment does not teach good behavior. In almost all children it does not stop bad behavior. It makes kids resent their parents.

My kids didn't really have expensive things. We have older video game systems but they belong to the family.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:04 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• My children do not get presents for yule. We celebrate the appropriate way (i.e. at religious services).
    AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 12:13 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• I would answer your question like this: If there was something that I felt my child absolutely, positively needed, I would buy it for him or her no matter what the time of year. Rather if there is something very expensive, that he wants-- I would make him earn it himself. I have never spent over 100.00 each kid at Christmas, no exceptions. Oh and my kids are 25 and 21 and yes, they are both sane adults now. No time ever spent in mental facilities because they did not get what they wanted!! LOLLLLLL
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:15 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• We don't pay to much attention to price, if we have the cash and my kids really want a particular thing we do our best to get it for them no matter what day of the year it is. Do we spoil them sometimes but we also have a value system and they also earn things and privlages.

They don't get something everytime we go to the store, we also are very practical but why shouldn't they get what they want sometimes as long as it is good and they are being good?

I hope you all had a great Christmas!
    Joanne27

Answer by Joanne27 at 12:25 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• My daughter is too young to understand what she actually wants. She's 3, so of course she wants EVERYTHING that is on TV. LOL! She's to young to know the difference between prices. When she gets older and wants something that just so happens to be expensive. Depending on what it is, I would get it for her. But.. My husband and I do have a budget, so if it is THAT expensive.. it might be her only gift..lol
    GlitterMEpInk

Answer by GlitterMEpInk at 1:03 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• When we buy spendy items they are normally joint gifts, like this year they all wanted a video game that cost $100 (guitar hero world tour) so we bought it but they share it and they can all 3 play it together. if my kids want something like a MP3 video games etc i normally start looking for sales or we wait till the price is lowered, my kids actually have learned that it is okay to hold off and wait till something is affordable, they would rather save the money. I bought all three of them MP3 players last year and paid less than $10 for each of them, they didnt need nor did they miss me buying the super expensive ones, the whole point was to have a way to play music while on the go and that is what they got and they were extremely happy about it.

I buy for birthdays and I also will buy things during the year if we have extra money or i find a great deal on something i know they have been looking at.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:03 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• I don't spend more at Christmas than I can actually afford to spend....and I try not to get expensive items as Christmas gifts. But I don't want my kids to feel deprived and I do get them the things they want throughout the course of the year, as long as the items are things that I think they should have and that I can actually afford them. It is all about being realistic.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 1:57 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• I don't buy my child ridiculously expensive items unless they are going to last for a good while. A good example would be the stove she is getting. She will be able to use it for a few years and she takes very good care of her things.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 2:56 PM on Dec. 26, 2009