'I just don't like using the potty...' WTH?

My son for the last few weeks has been peeing in unusual places. he has had to clean it up he has been punished he has been rewarded...nothing seems to stop it. He pees in the dirty laundry in the bath tub in the corner of the garage in the garbage...Now he pees and cleans it up with out being asked to! I keep asking him why he is doing t and he always say he just doesn't like peeing in a potty. I ask him why and he says he doesn't know it just 'better' to pee on something else. He did at school once that I know of he got written up for peeing on the wall in the boy's room. EWhat can I do about this. No he is not abused and there has been no major changes in the house or childhood trauma. he is 8.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:44 PM on Dec. 26, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would say that it is just a phase that he will grow out of. You're doing right by explaining to him that it is wrong every time he does it. Just stay deligent about explaining why it is not acceptable to go potty all over the place and wait it out.

I bet it will pass soon enough.
    AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 12:48 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• buy one of those cleaning things that go in the toielt bowl on the side( u get them at the dollar store too) there on metal, tell him to aim for that every time to see if he can.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 12:47 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• I would think something about the toilet bothers him. Has something been flushed that shouldn't have, that maybe someone got upset and now he has negative ideas, meaning like somehow dad's keys got flushed and dad was upset, so now he might think the toilet is bad? Or maybe he's had some kind of nightmare about the toilet that is bothering him in a major way? That's really all I can think of.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 12:47 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• My mom used to put Cheerios or one of those bowl fresheners that you hang on the side of the toilet, and told my cousin to aim there. He had that bizarre reaction to peeing in a potty too. It worked... maybe that's an idea?
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 12:48 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• The target in the toilet is a good idea. Considering his age you could explain to him that it is not acceptable to pee anywhere but a toilet. Ask him how he he would feel if someone else peed on his things. Tell him simply that it is not sanitary, it is offensive and smelly and not considerate of others. Has he seen someone else peeing anywhere other than the toilet? My 3 year old nephew thought it was okay to pee outside (anywhere, any occasion, all the time) after going camping. He finally got it that it's a camping thing.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 12:58 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• At eight years old....this sounds very strange to me. I would be concerned, and talk to the doctor and probably a psychologist. I wouldn't want to take any chances that something actually happened to him or that there is actually a bigger issue. This does not sound normal at all. Honestly, I don't want to upset you but this is bizzare behavior that does need to be looked at.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 1:47 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Have you ever thought it might be the 'thrill' of peeing somewhere other than the toilet? Like how some kids steal, even though they don't what the thing, they just do it for the thrill of stealing. Other kids break things or graffiti (younger kids, not gang related) and they do those things for the thrill of it, not for any good reason other than to see if they can get away with it. I agree that you can try the targets in the toilet, that others have suggested, but if he is a thrill seeker you might want to find something exciting for him to do. Like karate or some kind of activity that sounds 'dangerous'. Drama might also be a good idea if he likes attention, it's a rush and a really big thrill to be on stage.

MomOfJandM

Answer by MomOfJandM at 3:19 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• I think he just know that if he pees somwhere other ha the tolet he will no be punished but so bad. It's just him doing it because he can it's part of pre pubirty
    Anonymous