has anyone ever rented a medela's breast pump???

how much is it per month?

mellyhayes

Asked by mellyhayes at 1:10 PM on Dec. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think I paid $30 a month for the Symphony model. That's the hospital grade one.
    maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 1:12 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• if u have wic, they will give u a realy nice one for free
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 1:55 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• if u have wic, they will give u a really nice one for free - depends on the county. My county only gives the electric pumps to women who have preemies. Everyone else who request one gets hand pump.
    It would have been 40 a month for me if I had rented so I bought one on ebay ( medela double pump) for 80 including the shipping. I replaced the sanitary parts for less than 30. I had to bid on several before I was able to win one at less than 150. I was only willing to spend 100 total. I was able to do it in a few weeks. That cost way less than renting!!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:03 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• It all depends on where you rent from. I found it MUCH cheaper to rent from my local LLL leader then from the hospital, and surgical supply store.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:43 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• The Pump in Style pump that costs around $300 new is supposed to be a single user pump. You can get them for less then $50 on eBay and Craigslist.

Some people think that the pump will somehow malfunction and somehow bacteria might go up the tubing and get into the pump and stay alive in the pump. Then when you buy the pump it will somehow malfunction in a whole different way and bacteria will somehow go down the new tubing you have bought and somehow get into the milk even though there is protection from anything getting from the tubing into the milk. Then the bacteria would be in large enough number to make your baby sick.

It's never happened.

The people that try to scare you will talk about risk of HIV. HIV is a very hard disease to catch. Breastfed babies of HIV positive mothers may not catch it even if they breastfeed for months or years. HIV virus does not live well in places like breast pumps.

Anonymous

• you can replace the tubing, bottles and breast cones. Those are the only parts that could touch the previous users milk anyway. Those are less than 30 dollars to replace.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:40 PM on Dec. 26, 2009