Pagan mamas help me out

Well, I am educating myself because i am very interested in paganism , possibly wicca. I WAS a baptist christian but the more i look at it the more I feel its not right. My question is how do i go about finding the correct path and discovering if it is was is right for me. I have been doing some "soul searching" and could use some advice. Thanks, I am post anon for "obvious reasons" , and please no bashing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:57 PM on Dec. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am not Pagan,I was wiccan for a good part of my teenage life and now I am a nondenominational christian. Here is my suggestion, depending of course on the situation, but sit down and ask yourself what it was about the baptist christian religion that you feel isn't right? is it the doctrine? is it the things you've been taught? is it what they stand for?? I encourage you to explore other "christian religions" if you still believe in God,..Knowing about the baptist persuasion they tend to be a very hard denomination to be part of because they work a lot on perfection and everything you may do wrong, however God really isn't about that,He is a loving God, and it's usually people that would call themselves "his" people that are the judgmental Hippocrates. Good luck on your search,hope you find the thing that's right for you..
    CuteandCurvy

Answer by CuteandCurvy at 2:15 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• When I started my journey I made a list.
    I listed what I knew in my heart I believed and what I knew I did not. It helped me have a clearer idea of where I was going and what I wanted to study and look into.

I read books by Scott Cunningham and the Idiot Guides to Wicca/Witchcraft, etc that friends had suggested. I looked up a bunch of traditions online at various sites like www.paganspath.com and whatever spoke to me...I learned more about and incorporate bits into my life.

Im more eclectic than one particular path because parts of several spoke to me.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 2:31 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• My only advice to you is to read. Read everything you can get your hands on, no matter what other people think of the author. The more you read, the more you'll know and the easier it will be for you to figure out exactly what you do and do not believe. It's not a simple process, it's not a short process, but it's effective. Figuring out your path is very personal. It's a journey and you should take your time with it, IMO.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 2:49 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Read read read read read
    Go to beliefnet and religious tolerance and start working your way through articles - for now stick to the basic ones - what is Wicca, what is Druidism, what is Asatru, etc. When you find ones that sound right to you, keep digging in that direction and look into more detailed ones. Aside from the true Eclectics, in various practices, there are specific paths within each. For example, within Wicca is Dianic, Garnerian, Alexandrian, British Traditionalist, and a bunch of other smaller ones. Each of those paths has different beliefs (some to the point of being polar opposites of other paths). Once you find out what you're leaning towards (Wicca, Druidry, etc) you then need to figure out which school (path) of that practice you are drawn to.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:08 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Read and ask questions to other Pagans or Wiccans. Most of us have been where you are now. Realize that it is your path and it will take time. Don't be afraid to ask any of us questions. Also realize you will encounter people who want to prevent you from exploring your path. Don't be afraid of that either. Read and ask questions all the time.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:35 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Find a quiet room, quiet place, quiet time...light a candle if it helps you meditate.
    Close your eyes...deep circular breaths.
    Start with "By the Earth that is Her Body, the Air that is Her Breath, the Fire that is her bright Spirit, and the living Waters of Her Womb."
    And ask the Lady.
    Ask Her to reveal herself to you and to lead you on your path.

(That and what the other PAGANS above have written...)
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 5:16 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• I would have to agree... Read - Read - Read! I have a great Pagan education section in my group and I'm working on an educational website. Until that is up though, I would suggest you check out www.PagansPath.com and a few of the groups on here, including mine of course... LOL! Pagan & Proud is a good one as well as the number of "newbie" and study groups.

If you wish to message me, feel free. I have a reading list and a site list that could be very helpful as well as I am willing to answer any questions you have. I am not Wiccan, but have studied Wicca. I am a Solitary Eclectic Pagan Witch and I am more than open to helping any and all who I can. You will find that most of us are!

Welcome to the Path Sister! May you be blessed ~ Always!
    Sabrina

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:32 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Well, pagan's path is great for education AND for pointing you in the direction of other good places to look. They also give you some suggestion on which path would be good to research. It's where I started and where my dh has started his research. And feel free to PM me or one of the other Pagan's who have replied for more info and/or help.

-Ashley

spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 7:34 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Welcome to a path where questions are a part of who we are. Where part of the enlightenment is the freedom to seek and desire knowledge. Where you see the beauty of the twinkling night sky with eyes wide open. May you feel the embrace of the Great Mother and the strength of the Father on your journey.  Hail and Welcome.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 7:56 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• I also recommend LOTS of reading. And keeping a journal. Write down what you like about what you read and what you don't like. Write down how what you read makes you feel - the positive and the negative. Journaling really helps me fine tune my life. It helps me examine what I believe and why. It helps me decide what I need to change in my life and what I want to keep. I also heartily agree with taking your time and really exploring. Some paths will attract you right away while others may not. Just go with it. Finding your spirituality is a very personal experience and no two people will travel exactly the same path. Don't rush the process. And once you find your path, don't be afraid to question even more. Your spiritual path should keep changing and growing right along with you if it is to continue meeting your spiritual needs. Good luck!
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 11:33 PM on Dec. 26, 2009