i am 42 weeks 1 day today i am very nervous and scared what can i do?

please i am going to crazy all i can do is cry and worry. i want to give birth so bad.

i have tried castor oil twice, i walk alot, i ate pineapple spicy food, i have everything but nothing is working. all i get is mild cramps and mild back pain. please help me!

shoegal1787

Asked by shoegal1787 at 2:12 PM on Dec. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I am a pro-induction mama... I have had 2 and will have another one with this one. However, I am CONVINCED that if the baby isnt ready to come that no natural induction method will work. I was very dilated very early with baby #2 and at 37 weeks at 5cm I tried EVERYTHING to have her and NOTHING worked!! I drove myself nuts wanting it overwith so this time even though I know I will be induced on Jan 12th at 39 weeks, I am not going to try to go into labor because I know it wont work
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 2:16 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• You can calm down. Your stress is causing some issues. I wouldn't be surprised if the baby was scared to come out over the tension! Try some meditation or relaxation tapes, soothing music, maybe dh will give you a massage. Do something to relax yourself and say calm. Try some breathing exercises. Once you gain control of your stress then the baby will want to come out and see mom! yeah!!!!!!!

Answer by admckenzie at 2:21 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Are you getting an epidural? If you are, don't worry at all. I used to worry until I wept but after my first induction, it was virtually pain free and so easy, really. You should go into labor soon, or ask to be induced. Good luck, it'll be fine.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 2:24 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Don't want to cause any more worry but why is your doctor letting you go so far overdue? It **can** cause complications and still birth. Just talk to your doctor about being so far overdue and the risks for that, ask if maybe your membranes can be stripped or something to get things going.

I just don't want to see something terrible happen that can be prevented, that's all...it's just something to think about!
    all4mymarine

Answer by all4mymarine at 2:28 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Here's some info to read so you aren't so worried about it, just aware :)

http://miscarriage.about.com/od/pregnancyafterloss/qt/overdue-pregnancy-risks.htm
    http://www.birthingnaturally.net/birth/challenges/overdue.html
    http://www.parents.com/pregnancy/giving-birth/labor-and-delivery/overdue-pregnancy/

all4mymarine

Answer by all4mymarine at 2:34 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• I delivered my son at 42 and a half weeks, 18 days past his due date. By the time I went into labor my body was exhausted and I ended up with an infection and on iv's for 10 days after my son was born by csection. I feel it all happened because I had a crazy doctor who wanted to be in control rather than caring about my and my baby's health. I was also pitocin for induction and pushed too for two hours with my baby not moving into my birth canal at all. My son is fine years later. But he was a bit blue after the section and was on oxygen.

I'd start demanding answers as to why you're being allowed to be this long overdue. It's time to see the typed reports of your ultrasound pictures and even get another level three us and a blood test to determine baby's date of conception.

I'm worried for you ending up like i was. pm if you want. I know your worries.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 3:00 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• You want to give birth, understandable. But what does baby want?
    Are you healthy? Baby, too?
    If you two are alright then... you're all right. ;-)

The 40 week mark is the middle of the average 4-week due period (through 42 weeks). You might gestate longer than the "average" which is normal, too. Lots of women go weeks past where you are because it is normal for them/their bodies.
    Also, there might be emotional factors to consider. Are you consumed more with your preferences? How can you relax & calm down? How can you have more faith in the normal process? (keep in mind your body has already started progressing)

You're very likely to have this baby soon. It will happen when the time is perfect! :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:24 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• My first baby was 17 days overdue. I finally went into labor naturally (never tried anything to "make it" happen, I didn't have anyone to have sex with and hadn't heard about any foods or castor oil helping or anything, all I knew about was "driving over railroad tracks"). I had 2.5 inductions with later babies. I learned with my last baby that accupressure is a really good thing to try - certain pressure points help naturally put your body into labor if it's ready (the same spots cause miscarriage in early pregnancy, which is why it's bad for women to have deep tissue massages in their first trimester - my SIL lost a baby for that reason). My chiropractor does a lot of accupressure stuff, and she did it on me when I was 39 weeks with my last baby to try to help things along, it did help a little but she didnt' do as much since I wasn't technically due yet.
    Anonymous

• i would just try to relax and let things happen naturally. i think your anxiety is not helping :) it will happen soon, don't worry :)
    Anonymous

• Your stress is causing you more harm than anything! RELAX!!!!!!! Unless you or your baby are having medical issues then there is nothing at all wrong with going "overdue" and technically your not overdue until AFTER 42 weeks. I went into labor with my 3rd child at exactly 42 weeks all on my own, no castor oil (SUPER YUCK!) and no medical induction...baby was perfectly fine and so was I, he just wasnt ready to come out yet and some babies arent, they just need a bit of extra time to cook before they decide to come.
    Im sure your doctor is keeping an eye on you and baby and if anything is wrong they would handle it but honestly, dont force your baby out if it is not ready...they could have estimated your due date wrong, VERY few women actually know the exact date of conception so maybe your not even really as far along as you are thinking.
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 11:12 PM on Dec. 26, 2009