Is it a choice?

Do you think people who are homosexual or transgender choose it or are they born that way? Why do you believe what you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:32 PM on Dec. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think some do but not all.

I dont have a reason other than it seems some go from being one to being another and back again in the blink of an eye. If you are born a specific way then you would stay that way and not flip flop unless you are making the choice to do so for whatever personal reasons you have.
    Anonymous

• I believe they are born that way.
    Anonymous

• People are born that way. And no one can ever tell me different. Until you've watched someone, from childhood into adulthood struggle with their identity, you will not understand. It is incredibly obvious that they are born that way. And to fight against it, is to fight against their very nature. It is WHO they are....just as it would be a struggle for me to be gay...the same for them to be straight.
    My sister was born gay, and came out in her twenties. It was painfully obvious, growing up that she wasn't like the other girls. She was different, yet she tried to fit into society. Even going so far as to get engaged to a man. But, she know that she couldn't commit to that...it was against her nature. ANd she didn't want to destroy his life by committing to him.
    She is with a beautiful partner now, and their love for each other is completely evident when you are around them.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 2:50 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Nope it is NOT a choice, scientific studies have already been done that determine that sexual preference is set while in the womb during brain developement. Thus homosexuals are born that way,
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:54 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• I honestly believe that it is s tumbling block placed before some people just like poverty or death of a parent or relative are stumbling blocks for others. I believe that they have the option to over come it through hard work and prayer just like any other stumbling block. the bible states very clearly it's position on homosexuality. There fore I do not believe it is something some people are born with. I believe it is a temptation and you either give in and sin or over come it and be rewarded. I also believe that just like any one else who sins it doesn't make them bad people. I can love the person despite his sins. Love the person not the sin he has committed. I know I will be in the minority here but it is my true feelings on this matter.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:56 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• " I believe that they have the option to over come it through hard work and prayer just like any other stumbling block"

Being gay is not something to "overcome". And your comment of ". I can love the person despite his sins" is quite arrogant. How so very kind of you to love them DESPITE how they were made. (note sarcasm)
    Geez some people really need to get over themselves.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 3:04 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• It doesn't matter what anyone thinks about it. If you're not having their feelings first hand, you'll never know or understand. If someone tells you they have always felt like a girl inside, would you tell them they are full of it? Who are we to dictate what someone feels? Being that I am bi-sexual, and have many people in my family that are gay/lesbian/bi, I would say it is definitely genetics. Perhaps the gene skips certain people, like other genes do.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 3:07 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• I don't think anyone chooses to have these urges. I believe that we are prone to certain desires due to genetics or something else in our make-up. We can choose to act on them or not, though.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 3:09 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• OP Here - But_Mommie - First off the Bible doesn't actually say anything against homosexuality. Only through mistranslations and political agendas has it been changed to be what we have now. Second off, you didn't completely answer my question either. Being homosexual is different than being transgender. So what is your view on someone who is transgender?
    Anonymous

• 'Being gay is not something to "overcome". And your comment of ". I can love the person despite his sins" is quite arrogant. How so very kind of you to love them DESPITE how they were made. (note sarcasm)
    Geez some people really need to get over themselves. '

That is your opinion and I have mine. We will never agree and that is fine. I would never ask you to agree with me. You have the right to your opinion and it is not my place to force you or anyone else to change it but that doesn't mean I can't voice it. I am not arrogant. I am honest. Everyone sins and all sins are equal. IMO being with someone of the same sex is a sin and I will always see it as such. Just as I see lying or stealing as a sin. My children lie and back talk at times. I love them despite this. I sin and I am sure at some point my sins have hurt another person but I should hope that they would love me despite my faults.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:23 PM on Dec. 26, 2009