Off the plate eating

Do you let your LO's eat off your plate? I heard that it's hard pry them from your plate once you start letting them eat off it, but I also heard it encourages them to try new foods and they're more interested. What do you think?

piercedbeauty21

Asked by piercedbeauty21 at 3:25 PM on Dec. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• We allow this; it is a great way to (sneakily) get kids to try new foods.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:39 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• I do not allow this. I feel for our family it is a manners issue. You eat what you are served off of your plate. We feel it is rude to be sticking your fingers in other peoples food and to be begging. After all we all have the same thing. Now at restaurants we do all kind share a bite here and there but there is not any grabbing off of anyone's plate, you ask politely if you may try some.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:46 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Everyone has their own plate and they all have the same thing(s) on their plates. No sharing in this house, we used to do it when our oldest was young and it just made it that much harder to get her to eat on her own later.
    Anonymous

• I give my daughter some things off my plate if it's something she can eat. She's 9 mon and starting to eat "big people" food. There's some stuff we eat that's spicy and whatnot that wouldn't be good for her little tummy but for me it's just easier giving her bites from my plate than having extra dishes and stuff on the table. Of course if it's a finger food I just put it on her tray and let her eat it herself.
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 4:05 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• I usually take food off of my plate and put it on my son's plate. Sometimes he behaves better in restaurants if I set aside a place on my plate for him to grab food from. In general he has his own plate, but I don't mind sharing if he wants to try something that I have and he doesn't. He is 17 months old.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 4:27 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• My DD is also 9 months old and I do the EXACT same thing (as jmpeskie), but it's getting harder and harder to make her eat from her own plate. I've decided that she has to eat from her own plate. Granted, it's soooo much easier for her to just take a few bites off mine, but she needs to start to learn her manners & how to do things on her own.
    piercedbeauty21

Answer by piercedbeauty21 at 4:48 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Any mom of a toddler knows that for some strange reason the food on her plate tastes a thousand times better than the food on her LO's plate. I let my kids eat off of mine, but it was never really a problem to get them to stop. If I eat anywhere but the dinning room table, then they want to come pick off my plate, but when we eat as a family, sit down style...which we do 99 percent of the time, they have no problem eating on their own.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 6:12 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Yeah, my LO eats off my plate. It seems to taste better than the exact food on his plate. It's portion control. Ha ha ha. Momma can't get fat is LO is eating my food. :D
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:00 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• No I never let anyone even my little ones eat off my plate. I did however when they were little take some of my food from my own plate and put it on another one for the little one's so they could see it was coming from my plate. But honestly that is for my sake since I lose my appetite if anyone eats off my plate or from my eating utensils and I don't want it off theirs either for the same reasons
    lbranta

Answer by lbranta at 5:09 PM on Dec. 27, 2009