Why do you have to warm up the babies formula? Is there any reason it can't be served at room temperature?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:30 PM on Dec. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It can be served at room temp or even chilled. Warm is just a preference. I believe it stems from the fact that breast milk is body temp, so in an effort to mimic breast milk, some people choose to warm it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:42 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• It depends. If it is formula that has been in the fridge it can't be allowed to sit around at room temp to get to room temp to feed the baby. Any bacteria or other microbes in the formula would multiply during that time and could make the baby sick. That's why you are supposed to keep bottles on ice if you take them anywhere.

If you are using ready made formula and just open the can you can use it at room temp. You have to store the rest in the fridge.

You are not supposed to warm formula in a microwave or in a pot on a stove. You are supposed to warm it with warm tap water.

Because powdered formula is not sterile and has been linked to infant deaths there are special directions for making it. The World Health Organization directions complicated and I would be concerned enough about the risk of powdered formula I would not use it.

Of course breastmilk is the perfect temperature in the perfect container.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:43 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• I think it's a preference thing. My baby would throw up the formula the 2 times I gave it cold on a hot day. But, my friend rarely warmed hers up, she did chilled and room temp and the baby still scarfed it down. The first sign my daughter would be a picky eater? :)
    Anonymous

• My grandmother said all things should be at room temperature and I listened to her when I fed my children. I do it for my grandchildren as well and never had a problem

Answer by admckenzie at 3:59 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• My babies would never take un-warmed formula. I think they got used to having their nutrition warm straight from the tap, and when we had to make the switch they were used to it warm - they didn't know what it was to have non-warm nutrition stuck in their mouths. Even if they were starving they wouldn't take a bottle (of breastmilk or formula) that wasn't warm. Not overly warm, just a bit warmer than room temp.
    Anonymous

• My SIL was told to only give her baby un-warmed formula, that cold was fine. The baby did fine, and she never had to warm the formula.

Answer by Bmat at 6:34 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• I give my dd and my ds (when he was a baby) room temp. formula. The way I looked at it is this, what if we were out somewhere, where I couldn't warm it up? Then they wouldn't take it cold/room temp. always did fine for my two, never had any issues.
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 8:02 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• You don't have to...it's just preference. The only time I warmed it is when I premade my bottles for the night and didn't want to give cold formula. The rest of the time it was room temp.
    grooveybabe004

Answer by grooveybabe004 at 11:00 PM on Dec. 26, 2009