Getting too tall for crib, but definitely NOT ready for a bed...what do I do?

My 18 month old is 33 inches tall, and she is getting too tall for her crib. But, she is not ready for a toddler bed. She has mode no attempts to excape from the crib, but when she stands up in it, it looks like she could easily fall out of it.

Any advice or suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:35 PM on Dec. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• My 2 year old is 36 inches tall and does just fine in his crib. I would say unless she is trying to climb out, that she is still ok in the crib.
    flmommy76

Answer by flmommy76 at 5:15 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• i wouldn't do anything until she gets out on her own
    NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Answer by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 3:37 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• I moved my DD to a bed when she was getting to tall and worrying me. I didn't think she was ready but she ended up really doing well. I bought her a toddler bed with the sides. It took her a couple of weeks, but she really liked that I could read to her in bed lying right next to her.
    camiam81

Answer by camiam81 at 3:42 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• It has been a long time since I have been in this situation, but if the crib adjusts try moving the mattress down as far as it will go on the pegs. (That's how mine worked anyway.) Also, if that is still not low enough for the baby, they do have little kid beds with little sides to put up at night so they don't roll out of the bed. I have seen these for boys and girls that my friends who have children younger than my own use.
    Anonymous

• My 2 year old is 34.5 inches and still happily (and safely) in his crib. He makes no attempts to get out at all. If your DD isn't trying to get out yet I wouldn't worry about it. Or you could always get a crib tent, I see them in the One Step Ahead catalogs but don't know how safe they are. Also lots of toddlers do fine in toddler beds so you could try that too.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 4:02 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• We never owned a crib, I always thought they were too unsafe.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:11 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• My two year old is about 36 inches tall and she has not made any escape attempts either. I lowered her crib as low as it was able and really plan on her being in it for at least another year. It makes me feel safer to have her in her crib!
    mdehn

Answer by mdehn at 4:44 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• you might be surprised at how well she does in a toddler bed. My daughter's move out of her crib is necessary since we have another baby coming and need the crib.. but we decided to start off early to get her used to the idea. SHe is 17 months and moved out of her crib 3 weeks ago. She dos great, we have the bed guard and she only tried to climb over it once. Now, she stays IN bed when I put her there..(training her to that only took a couple days) and knows she can get out when she wakes up and does so on her own just fine. We childproofed really well and make sure her door is shut so she doesn't get out into the rest of the house. It has worked surprisingly well. I was really worried about trying it for a while there.
    If you really don't want to try that, I'd say just let her stay in there until she starts climbing out.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 5:19 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• i can't help you... i get my boys in a toddler bed by 18 months
    CarterMommy

Answer by CarterMommy at 6:09 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• My daughter was 15 months old when I moved her to regular twin bed with a rail. But that was because she was a crib bailer, and the second time she did that, I decided that was one time too many. Her room was childproofed, and we used a baby gate on her door. Both my kids went from crib to twin bed because we already had had their respective beds in their rooms since they were born. My son had my old convertible bunk beds, and my daughter had beds I inherited from over at my grandmother's.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 6:28 PM on Dec. 26, 2009