• In the Spotlight:

Is it ADHD??

I need some help. i have a 6 yr old girl and she runs on insane ammounts of energy from the moment her eyes open. I try to stimulate her in all of her favorite activities, even create new ones to keep her occupied and not running laps around the house! .. Im at a stand-still .. She has outstanding grades in school so far .. -all B's!- but her teachers comments are always the same: "She is a bright student with alot of offer scholastically but her focus and attention and hyperactiveness are becomming a problem. She doesnt fight in school but she is definately my 'space out' child of the class."

Could this be ADHD? or is she just a plain ball of immense energy?

n0ttabrat

Asked by n0ttabrat at 3:38 PM on Dec. 26, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son was recently diagnosed and he sounds like your daughter. He is 8. I would call her pediatrician and ask for an evaluation. I think 6 might be a little young. My son showed signs last year in first grade and his teacher mentioned it but said he might outgrow it by second grade. He didn't. He is on 10mg of Ritalin at breakfast and lunch. I don't see a huge difference yet but it is getting better.
    Hope you get some answers.
    DebKnapp

Answer by DebKnapp at 3:43 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• We have no way to know - only a professional can diagnose it and even then some diagnoses are wrong. My oldest is the same way - gets pretty much all As in school, but can hardly sit still in class, never sits still at home, her mouth is constantly going, she's definitely the "picture" of ADHD - yet no one sees a reason to even have her tested because they've seen kids with it and she's different. She's very hyper-active, but she's normal. Even if she was tested and diagnosed with it I wouldn't medicate her - there are many easy dietary changes you can make that immensely help kids with ADD/ADHD. I've already made some of those changes and have noticed a difference in her basic every day behavior and attention span.
    Anonymous

• School is boring and so much time is wasted. She may be psychologically normal but have a lot of energy and low tollerance for being in boring situations. She may do better is she didn't go to school.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:08 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• This sounds a lot like my daughter when was younger. We never had her evaluated for ADD/ADHD, though she likely has ADD (my husband has diagnosed ADD). She did act out in class because she was bored; her behavior improved instantly when she started attending an academically advanced school. There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/ Cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:45 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org ) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy

My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:46 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• I agree with rkoloms, change the diet and maybe see about getting her evaluated. But I don't believe in doing meds, especially at her age. My oldest SD used to be a zombie on ritalin, and I refused to give it to her. Its a battle everyday, but you have to do routines, its the best way I've seen to keep her focused. My SD is 4 and showing the same signs as your daughter, he is a crazy person, but we keep on him, and limit TV with all the kids as much as possible, it just kills their attention spans, and we try to keep him engaged in things, but hey, at that age they just have a lot of energy. Now at school though it will be tougher to monitor her, but if she's doing well then maybe she just needs to be challenged more. Look into different options and research it. Talk with her teachers, try to get them to keep her interacted, if they are unable then maybe look into a more advanced school that keeps her attention. Good luck!
    2010Mommy2be

Answer by 2010Mommy2be at 5:05 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• ITS A.D.H.D OR A.D.D !
    Anonymous

• It could be ADHD, have her evaluated by her doctor. Challenging a child with ADHD doesn't always help. It just gives them more that they have to TRY and concentrate on. Having ADHD makes it very difficult to concentrate and pay attention. Limitng tv may not help either. Keeping her active MIGHT help. Most children with ADHD are extremely intelligent, they just have issues with the concentration and being able to sit still. I talk from experience, both my son and I. I am challenged everyday with the course load I am taking and I still have issues concentrating. I don't watch a lot of tv and I still have issues concentrating. As a matter of fact, if I am doing homework I have to have the tv on or I cannot concentrate. I need the background noise in order to force my brain to concetrate. Talk to the doctor and get your child treated. Medication can do wonders, if prescribed correctly.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:28 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• okay but what kind of dietary changes? because the LAST thing i EVER give her is candy.. soda.. junk food.. etc.. she eats a complete meal.. veggies, whole grains.. lots of fruit... and we eat more chicken and fish then red meat.. and she gets lots of exercise.. shes outside almost all day ......
    n0ttabrat

Answer by n0ttabrat at 2:19 PM on Dec. 27, 2009