Noticed something in my one-month old today..

Her cry has changed. Is that normal?

Wheepingchree

Asked by Wheepingchree at 3:54 PM on Dec. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They have different cries for different things. If you mean the sounds of all her cries are different sounding then she may have a sore throat. Have her checked

Answer by admckenzie at 3:58 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Depends what it sounds like. Does it sound like excruciating like he's hurt? I noticed my daughter's cries took on different tones as she got older, probably around 1-2 months. (Those months were a blur so I don't remember lol) When she was hungry she'd cry one way, bored from laying in the same spot she'd do a whiny cry. If they're hurt you can tell right away, it's just trying to play the guessing game at that age as to what exactly it is that's bothering them.
    I'm sure she's fine. Good luck!
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 4:00 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• If her cry is weaker much weaker even if she's eating well, I'd get her looked at if it's been going on for 3/4 day or longer. If she's less in wet diapers, considerably less, or with constant - hours of loose massive poor then get her looked at too. If it's weaker but she's eating well, burping good, pee poo ok and aware then just maybe she's likely ok, just watch her and note down any other changes.

Remember you can check her temp under her arm, internally's best but that's intrusive and hard for baby to tolerate. But about underarm - if she's bundled warm if house is extra warm too then you're gonna get a high temp reading. So if you're house is warm and you don't want to do a rectal temp, then undress her to a t shirt and diaper and let her be like that for a bit, then take her temp. For a one month old a constant of 100, not cooling down dressed less, screaming in pain and/or a weak cry is reason for a trip in.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 4:03 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Their cries change over time, and have different sounds for different needs.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:27 PM on Dec. 26, 2009