Avoidance due to religion?

Do you avoid going certain places because of religion/lack of religion? For example do you avoid going to the Bible belt because of how religious people are down there? Or avoid going to Utah because of the Mormons? or avoid Cali because of lack of religion?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:01 PM on Dec. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• uhm no I'd never avoid a part of the country because of that. I'd avoid other parts of the world because of religious differences. When individual people send me religious beliefs that are overboard or talk about that too much I counteroffer conversation of other things than that. If they can't, then I socialize elsewhere.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 5:04 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• My husband was offered a transfer the first thing I did was look up the Catholic population in the areas it might be possible.
    Anonymous

• I don't but I seriously wouldn't live in Utah, I'd visit. I know many Jewish people who will not go to Germany. Which is sad because we can learn from such horrific historical events and Germany is lovely.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:04 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• I live in the bible belt and I'm not religious. You tolerate people and most of them will tolerate you back.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 5:10 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• No I wouldn't avoid any area.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:23 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• No! thats ridiculous! I live in the bible belt and I am an atheist. Things are ok for the most part. I tolerate the religious aspect as much as possible:)
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:29 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• max~ not sure where in the "bible belt" you live, but I could not disagree more. They are the most hateful, small minded people I have dealt with. Being an Atheist in the bible belt is one of the most trying life experiences.

Yes, there are areas that I would love to avoid, but unfortunately, I live in one of them!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:31 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• ObbyDobbie~I live in NC. Maybe it's because I tend to stay out of religious conversations. And I don't say very much regarding my own beliefs if someone starts stating their own. I would however speak up, if they were being particularly hateful. But I haven't run into it that much.
    I have two friends here who are very religious. But we've managed to remain close, and accept each others beliefs. Maybe it's avoidance, but I like to think it's out of mutual respect.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:39 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• I spent a few years in a part of the bible belt that I found out decades later was anti Catholic. It wasn't until years later and the invention of FB when I caught up with old friends from 20+ years that I understood how bad the anti Catholic sentiment was/is in this area.

Anonymous

• i wouldn't consider avoiding certain parts of the country/world because of religion or lack of. there are many wonderful places i've yet to see. and really, do you check you beliefs at the stateline..no. i tend to think people can get along with others of different beliefs/practices if they want to..and vice versa. if you always get negative responses/reactions, you might want to rethink what you're putting out. it is possible to blend in, and not get nasty with the natives, or cause them to curse you..again, if you want to live peaceably.
    i did go to one area, a couple times, due to travels, that made me feel uneasy simply walking the streets. i remember a 'dark' air about me, like a cloak trying to smother me. it felt good to leave! of course, it could've just been a single spirit..but that's another post!! lol
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 6:25 PM on Dec. 26, 2009