breastfeeding

im trying to stop bf and its the first day im in pain any help please and how long does the pain last how many days? i need to go out of the country for family issue and its just best if i dont put my baby through all that.

mommyto2txboys

Asked by mommyto2txboys at 5:33 PM on Dec. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• we had a family issue that resulted in my having to wean my ds early (about 11 months), and I was in MISERY.... take decongestants, like sudafed, it will diminish your supply almost immediately. also make sure that you wear a well fitted snug bra, and put uncooked, cold cabbage leaves inside your bra as a compress- it contains an enzyme that will help slow/stop milk production. plus, the cold feels good. if you become so engorged that you want to scream, you can express JUST ENOUGH to ease discomfort, but remember supply vs demand, you express too much and you'll keep making more.

I know how hard it is, and I regret early weaning- make sure that he is getting plenty of skin time, especially while being fed. they need that.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:58 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• call your hospital and speak to a lactation consultant. i also have heard that cooked cabbage leaves pressed onto your breasts can help. try googling for some answers also.
    Michelle451

Answer by Michelle451 at 5:50 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• well, usually pain means a poor latch. did you see a lactation consultant in the hospital? It would probably be best to get help to make sure your baby is latching properly, otherwise it can lead to many other problems. Also, get some lanolin, it helps with sore nipples. check out www.llli.org and try and contact a LLL leader for suggestions and seee if they can help you with your latch,or can refer you to a good lactation consultant. and.... how long pain lasts depends on each mommy's experience. I had some with my first when I was trying to get a good latch, it didn't last very long though, my second we had no pain. My sister had pain forweeks due to a bad latch because of her son's tongue tie..... so it would be good to look and see if you are getting a good latch :)
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 5:51 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• I wouldn't do cabbage leaves for paun relief... that actually will decrease your milk supply, not necessarily help with pain... theere are many things that can help with pain, depending on what is causing the pain, but please don't do cabbage leaves unless you are having major engorgement problems
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 5:53 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• just remember to wean slowly! dont just STOP nursing. if you wean slowly your body will naturally produce less and less milk. you might be engorged at first but it will won't last!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 6:53 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

Precious333- she is trying to decrease her milk supply
    Michelle451

Answer by Michelle451 at 7:34 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• How old is your babe? Why not take him with you? Pump while you are gone, at least?

In any case... you need to wean SLOWLY. You shouldn't be in pain because you shouldn't stop that quickly. Weaning should take weeks, at the very least... months, ideally. When do you have to leave?

Drop a feeding every 2-3 days until they are gone at the very quickest. Just stopping cold turkey will be painful and possibly cause infection.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 7:59 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• why not pump and dump while you are gone?

Answer by rkoloms at 8:26 PM on Dec. 26, 2009