ok so im pregnant and have a severe headcold what can i take or do

so im only 7 weeks and have severe head cold my throat hurts my nose is so congested its ridiculous my head feels like a bowling ball and is pounding. i tried to gargle with salt water but it made me sick and every nose spray i try runs down my throat again making me sick and im allergic to sudafedrine (Suddafed) however its spelled

angelbabee2009

Asked by angelbabee2009 at 6:22 PM on Dec. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The only thing I was allowed to take was Robitussin because it lacks something the other cold meds have that I guess is dangerous. I also sucked on cough drops, they helped a little.
    I overloaded on orange juice and honey lemon tea the 2 times I was sick when I was pregnant.
    It sucks I know. :(
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 6:33 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• I have a paper from my OB that states not to take any medication before 16 weeks, and if you are really sick to call the doctor before taking anything. i have a list of what to take after 16 weeks if you would like that. Call your doctor. They will likely tell you to use steam and drink a lot of fluids.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:38 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• If you have a Neti Pot use that. Take your vitamins, drink orange juice and suck on zinc lozenges until you can get to your doctor

Answer by admckenzie at 6:44 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Avoid dairy while you are sick – it can increase the amount of mucus your body produces. Peppermint tea is great! Peppermint is a natural decongestant; just be sure that peppermint is the only ingredient. Honey (antibacterial) and cayenne pepper (anti-inflammatory) is the best cough syrup.throat soother. Emergen-C will help you stay hydrated and give you an energy boost; be sure to mix it with cold water. The lowest price is at Trader Joes, though it is sold just about everywhere (Target, Walgreens, etc.). I am a big believer in the power of foods. This healing foods pyramid from the University of Michigan is great: http://www.med.umich.edu/umim/food-pyramid/index.htm cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:14 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Get some Elderberry syrup. The FDA criticized the manufacturer of Tamiflu for "overstatement" of claims of efficacy, since blind studies comparing it to a placebo only resulted in a 1.3 day difference. A study on Sambucol (Elderberry) found a 3-4 day difference in duration of symptoms.
    Most important, stay well hydrated!
    Feel better

• Neti pots or nasal wash, pretty much the same just the delivery method is slightly different, I never could get the neti pot to work so I use the nasal wash and its pretty much just a large bulb that you use to squeeze saline water up one nostril and out the other, sounds gross and takes a bit of practice to get it right and getting used to the sensation but it works SOOO well, it cleans out all the junk up in your sinuses and keeps your tissues moist so you can breath better.
    Run a humidifier in your home, especially when you sleep and prop yourself up a bit with your pillows so the mucus doesnt clog you up.
    Use can try those breath right strips too, they work great for me.
    Vapor rub on your feet and then put socks on, dont ask me how this works but it does!
    Drink LOTS of water!
    Always take your vitamins and if it doesnt make you sick drink OJ for extra vitamin C.
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 11:06 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• I just got over a bad cold and my doctor said Robitussin. I took some and tylenol and rested a lot and it was better in a few days. Good luck!
    armywife1229

Answer by armywife1229 at 6:07 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• thank you everybody i will have to try some things i did use a neti pot and it help for a little while but not real long
    angelbabee2009

Answer by angelbabee2009 at 6:38 PM on Dec. 27, 2009