Do you allow your daughter(s) to wear makeup? How old are they?

If they are young, is it part of dress up that they wear makeup? I am asking because I just don't like the idea of filling young girls heads with some kind of beauty standard. I think that exposing girls to adult things can lead to implications of what beauty is in our society. Don't you think that could be damaging to their self-esteem?

IzzeAddy

Asked by IzzeAddy at 6:22 PM on Dec. 26, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• My 13 yr old wears makeup - my 8 and 10 yr olds have play makeup but are NOT allowed to wear it outside the house. I am pretty particular with what I let my kids do.... because I feel like letting them do too much too soon doesn't save anything for being older, so they'll find more to be involved in.
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 6:27 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Yeah, I think mine was about 13 when she started wearing it too. She's almost 21 now, btw. I do remember somedays she'd spend a lot of time before school, other days she'd just shower and go. I'm very proud to say that she's always thought she was pretty and has 'good' hair....and actually likes her hair. Go figure. Of course she did inherit my mothers perfect, tiny pores and my sisters perfect textured hair. While I ended up with the fine, thin hair and the big pores that thumbed it's nose at every pimple cream known to man! lol
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 7:09 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• My 5 yo likes to put on makeup, but it's kid safe, sparkly, little girl type stuff not adult makeup. It's just an extension of her dress up play and isn't any different to her than putting on her princess dress or cat costume. Pale pink eye shadow, cat whiskers drawn with an eye pencil, or face painting at the fair...it's all the same to her. It's fun to play with and nothing more. She isn't around women who wear makeup every day either. I only wear makeup when I'm on stage or on very special occasions, so that probably just adds to the idea that it's a "costume" idea for my daughter. She doesn't really have any idea that some adult women use it because they feel they are "flawed" or because they think they are not attractive without it.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 9:40 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• My 9 yr old likes to "play" makeup!!! LOL

We just hang out in the house and "Do" each others makeup. Usually me ending up looking like a clown. :) She will get into my lip gloss and "want" to wear my makeup outside but I do not let her.
    TLW514

Answer by TLW514 at 10:13 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• well, my DD is almost 18 now but, i guess at about 13 or 14 she wanted to wear eyeliner (to school, which i allowed)
    racingirl

Answer by racingirl at 1:27 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• My 13 yo wears a little makeup. My 2 yo has a powder brush that she uses to put on pretend makeup while I put on real makeup.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I put a tiny little hint of makeup on my girls when we get pictures done. The 14 year old doesn't wear it daily---she's not that interested, except for lipgloss, and the 12 year old cannot WAIT to get her hands on the stuff. For pictures I allow pink lipstick and a very lite eye shadow that gives a little shimmer and a tiny bit of rosey blush. (No mascara or liner, though they have dark eyes and lashes naturally.)

I don't think makeup should be rushed too soon. Let them stay kids as long as they can. I plan to take each of my daughters to the Clinique counter at Nordstrom when they turn 16 and let them get a makeover and taught how to use everything properly and tastefully, then purchase their first set of good cosmetics. 

toomanypoodles

Answer by toomanypoodles at 3:09 AM on Dec. 30, 2009