Eastern Catholics and The Catechism

I hope you all enjoyed your Christmas. A few weeks ago there was a post about Eastern Rites Catholics and Latin Rite Catholics. I looked up this issue a little more and even posted a journal. I was surprised to find a Byzantine Catholic Church in my area.

I understand “Roman” was first used as an insult towards the Catholic Church. I have noticed that many Churches have “Roman Catholic” on their signs. Obviously they practice the Latin Rite Liturgy. When was Roman Catholic used to describe the church and no longer thought of as in insult?

As for Eastern Catholic Churches from what I read the Eastern Catholic Churches are in full union with Rome, however, they do not consider themselves Roman Catholic. I found those exact words on the Byzantine Churches’ website. Do the Eastern Churches use the same Catechism as the Latin Rite Catholics?

Are there just two rites? Eastern and Latin?

Kattykitten

Asked by Kattykitten at 6:34 PM on Dec. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes Eastern Rite Catholics do use the same catechism - you'll see references to Eastern rites in the Catechism itself. They do have a different set of cannon laws though. This is because the doctrine/dogma are the same but the liturgical practices and disciples are different. For example, Latin Rite Catholics have a Mass. Eastern Rite Catholics celebrate a "Divine Liturgy". The liturgies are different but both include the concecration of the bread and wine into the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ. So a Latin Rite Catholic can particpate in an Easter Rite Divine Liturgy and vice versa.

There are more than 2 rites. There is the Latin Rite and several Eastern Rites - Byzantine, Alexandrian, Antiochian, Armenian, Chaldean and probably others that I'm forgetting - I'll have to check into that.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 6:46 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Thats interesting.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:14 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• The article "Catholic Rites and Churches" might be helpful for you.  It presents an overview of the different rites and churches that are united under the pope.  As the article explains there are three major groupings of Rites based on the initial transmission of the faith, the Roman, the Antiochian (Syria) and the Alexandrian (Egypt). Later on the Byzantine derived as a major Rite from the Antiochian, under the influence of St. Basil and St. John Chrysostom. From these four derive the over 20 liturgical Rites present in the Church today.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 8:23 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Thanks, I will look at the article. So it isn't Eastern Rites? I did not know that.

What about Roman? When did it become acceptable?
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 10:53 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• "Eastern Rites" (plural) is usually a general reference to the various non-Roman/Latin Catholic rites. It would include The Antiochian, Alexanrian and Byzantine rites. The difference between the rites isn't in what we believe but more in how we express those beliefs. There are certain essentials of the Catholic faith - in the different Catholic rites these essentials are clothed in the symbols and trappings and rituals that convey the desired spiritual meaning to that particular culture. In this way the Church becomes all things to all men that some might be saved (1 Cor. 9:22).
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:10 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• The Roman/Latin rite started with Pope Peter in Rome in about 43 CE. There are other rites/rituals within the Roman/Latin Rite. For example, you're probably familar with the New Order Mass which is the Mass/rite that most US Catholics attend - it's also called the "Ordinary Form of the Roman Rite". This Mass became acceptable after Vatican II. Before that we had the the Traditional Latin Mass which is known as the "Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite". Both these Mass rites are acceptable for Roman/Latin Rites. There are other acceptable Mass rites for Latin Rite Catholics - Mozarabic, Carmelite, Dominican, Ambrosian, Carthusian. These are celebrated mainly in specific regions or by specific religious orders. There's even an Anglican rite - used by some Anglican churches that converted back to Catholicism. These all fall under the Western/Roman/Latin rite general umbrella.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:20 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• I was talking to a persons on another board who is Carmelite. His church has both Carmelite and Latine rite parishioners.

I like these mixtures of cultures and how their traditions have been used. Our parish has Polish, Spanish and English Mass and often times the traditions are mixed.

Thanks for your answers Eringobrough.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 11:58 PM on Dec. 26, 2009