What is the chances for a false positive?

My Ds (who took 2 years to conceive while trying) is 10 wks old and I am in no ways trying to get pregnant, but rather have such a bad fear of pregnancy due to the problems with this one and because I have bad PP depression that I have gone to extreme measures to prevent it. At 6 wks PP I got my Mirena then at 8 wks PP I finally broke in and had sex with Dh. I made him wear a condom, pull out before ejaculating, and then even went to the pharmacy and got Plan-B which I took 12 hours after sex. It has been 2 wks since then and I woke up with the fear I was pregnant, bought a test and sure enough 2 little pink lines appeared. I only had sex that once and could have sworn there was no real chance of pregnancy after all those measures were taken, could this be a false positive or have my desperate attempts at preventing this failed me? What in the world do I do? I can't do this again I just can't!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:43 PM on Dec. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Its possible anything is did you try and take another test
    BarbarE

Answer by BarbarE at 6:52 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• it IS possible to have a false positive, but unlikely. if your hormones are wack that could cause it. if you are THAT worried, let it go for a couple more weeks and test again, if you get another + then you should make an appointment to get checked out by your ob... no one is going to force you to carry another baby, thats your choice.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:53 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• I only bought one test, wasn't planning on needing another considering I usually just have irrational fears of things and thought this was one of them. I guess I will just try to remain calm until tomorrow when I go out again so I can buy another test. Thank you ladies.
    Anonymous

• I got a false pos once. It was a defective test... the second line was much thinner than the first and it was obviously defective. Aside from a defective test though, a second line is a second line and means there are pregnancy hormones in your body.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 8:09 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• i had the same scare a few weeks ago... I've been on Depo for over 6 months now and had this voice saying "take a test"... and when I did, there were two lines. DS3 was about 7 mos at the time (he's just over 8 mos now). I went psycho and bought 8 more tests, they were all negative.... I figure if I am, then my OB will catch it when we have our appt in 2 weeks... im not letting that one test get to me.
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 8:13 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Also, make sure you don't have a test that is supposed to show a + sign. Those will trick you because a second line WILL show up no matter what, but it means negative. You need a plus sign for it to be positive on those. Check your box.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 8:18 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Hoping for a false positive is not going to make it go away. Just because you get ppd one time doesn't mean it will happen again. I've had four kids and only had it once. Go to a doctor. You will get through this. Hang in there~
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 8:18 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• I had PPD w/ both my boys. But not with my daughter. With her I took a high quality Omega Supplement. I actully take 3x the amount that normal people are supposed to take. It took 6wks to kick(funny that's the same amount of time the antidepressents I took yrs ago). Call a local chiropractor for brand recomendations.
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 9:51 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• It is very unlikely to get a false positive. You need to call your doc and get it. There are a few medical problems that can cause false positives. I do however know a few ladies who got pregnant on mirena, but then miscarried. If that's the case your mirena is now working properly and need it removed and another one placed.
    Anonymous

• False positives are POSSIBLE, but uncommon. I'm sorry you may be pregnant, but I would go to the doctor right away just to make sure and ease your mind. If you want my honest opinion though...if you ARE pregnant...it was meant to be if it happened after taking all those precautionary measures.
    Anonymous