Concerns with switching from formula to whole milk...

My daughter is 12 months old and her doctor told us to switch her to whole milk. Well yesterday she didn't have a poopy diaper all day, then this morning she had three in a row. Now my main concern is that it went from being brownish in the first one, brown and yellow in the second, and the third was a bright yellow. Now she has never had this happen so I am not sure if it is normal. Or if maybe it had to do with the fact that she is now on whole milk.

Isabelle_121608

Asked by Isabelle_121608 at 7:04 PM on Dec. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It very well could be from the milk. When transitioning you need to do it slowly, with a glass or half a glass a day. Some kids get constipated from the extra protein in the milk. My LO did and we have to watch how much we give her. A child only needs half their weight in oz of milk. So a 16 pound kid only needs 8 oz of milk (1/2 oz per pound). Be patient she will eventually get back to her normal BM's and all will be right in the world.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:30 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• try mixing just a little water in it,makes it kind of simalir to skim milk
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 7:35 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Yes its the milk. I switched my 13 mth old DD a mth ago and she's still constipated. From all the advice I have received from other mothers and the doctor this is normal and a long process. I started to water down her milk and give her a lot of fruits that are full of water. Like grapes, melon, watermelon and so on. It has actually started to help. Also prunes everyday or every other day. I'm giving this another 2 wks or so and if its not totally gone them I'm going to call doc again. But so far it seems to be getting better. Good luck!
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 2:25 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• she's adjusting to a change in her diet. We used to make DD's bottles half and half when we switched her, after a week we went to 1/4 and 3/4. The poop changes colors and stuff.. the transition takes a few weeks, but she will adjust. Give her water to help with the constipation and fruits like prunes and grapes. Hope it gets better quickly!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 8:14 PM on Dec. 28, 2009