Children Flying Alone

Has anyone ever done this or had their child fly alone, Did you have a good experiance with doing it. I'm just nervous because a 15 year old i know is flying from Connecticut to Ohio and i know nothing about the process. I am so excited and scared for her.

trying2survive

Asked by trying2survive at 7:09 PM on Dec. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• I use to fly so-lo as a child, going from Louisiana to Colorado, to see my grandparents. I started when I was 12, normally there is a flight attendant who meets the child at the gate. She also is the flight attendant on that plane, when the plane lands at a lay over the flight attendants walks the child to there connecting flight and they are in the custody of the next flight attendant then boards the plane. Then when the land at there final destintation the flight attendant walks the child to the gate to meet whom ever the parents told them before they left. Thats how it worked with me when I flew so-lo as a child.
    lucandpepsmom

Answer by lucandpepsmom at 7:19 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• I flew alone at 16 with my 14 yo sister and her friend who was 14. We didn't have a flight attendant take care of us. We walked ourselves to our gate and were able to successfully navigate the Atlanta and Memphis airports alone. I wish her luck and I hope she has fun.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:23 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• When my ds and I were younger we did to and from Texas. I was 9, she was 6. The flight attendants were very nice, made sure we were settled and everything and then the plane starts, and ds says: "we're going to crash, we're going to crash!". I said to ds we haven't left the ground yet, please stop, you're making me nervous!, And then the lovely bumping right when the plane is about to take off got her going again!!! Needless to say we survived, but I will NEVER fly with her again! LOL. When we were at the next destination the attendants made sure there was someone waiting to take us to the next gate; this happened until we reached Texas!!! We got wings, and special treatment. It is a nice memory! And with the safety precautions they are taking today, I think your dk will be just fine! They gave us something indicating we were traveling alone so they had an employee with us at ALL times. Would I do it, probly, depends on trust
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 7:28 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• I traveled this summer to Brasil and on my flight back there were about 5 children/teenagers traveling solo. The flight attendants were very caring and kept them together in the front rows. When I got out of the airplane, I saw a flight attendant with the youngest (about 8 years old) in a wheel chair. They were very protective of her.
    skymcr

Answer by skymcr at 7:28 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• My children have flown soley, from ages 6 and 7, from Arizona to Illinois every school break. They had red cards put around their necks and were seated together and got special attention from the airline attendants. An authorized adult had to sign for them upon arrival. As teenagers, they are now pros at this and no longer require the red cards. LOL
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 7:59 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• if you notify the airlines that she'll be flying alone, you can request an escort to get her to her proper gate. HOWEVER, i flew solo as a teen, and never had any trouble navigating- just hated flying into atlanta! that place is insane. never had a bad experience or got lost, it was less stressful for me to fly alone without the rents fretting over everything. lol

make sure she knows that if she needs help, don't wait to ask. that is what all of the CS personnel and security is for.

she'll be fine.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:01 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Thanks Ladies,
    i'm just nervous for her, i've only flown twice so i don't know too much about it, we've told her not to be afraid to ask for help and she is very wirelessly connected. i'm trying not to be overprotective but it's not something i would have let her do. not my decision to make.
    trying2survive

Answer by trying2survive at 8:13 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• My older DD's flew from Ca (where we live) to NJ (where their dad lives) the week of Thanksgiving this year. They are 5 and 7. They both got red bracelets to wear, and we got to walk them to the plane...we just couldn't go on it. They did great. They said the flight attendants were really nice to them, and surprisingly, they were good on the plane! lol. Overall I was pleased with the experience, and worried so much for nothing.
    Anonymous

• A 15 year old should be capable of flying alone. She isn't exactly a child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:46 AM on Dec. 27, 2009