Bad breath in a cat?

My indoor cat has had this odor for about a week now, it's horrible. We finally figured out it's coming from her breath, it's strongest when she's bathing herself. Anyone know what could be causing this?

kristinas8

Asked by kristinas8 at 8:06 PM on Dec. 26, 2009 in Pets

• A friend of mine had a cat that had tooth decay...it caused horrible breath, I think there may have been infection too. The cat had to have some teeth pulled...I'd take her to a vet for a check up.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:33 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Usually a dental problem. Take her to a vet as it can seriously affect her general health and ability to eat.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 9:39 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• typically, what causes bad breath is dental disease. Look at her gums and teeth and see if there is tarter or if the gums are red. I would take her to the vet and consider having her teeth cleaned becuase if you ignore it, it will only get worse and can cause other issues in the body, like a heart murmur.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:54 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Like the above people said it can be a bad or infected tooth but another major cause of bad breath especially in cats is kidney disease. You should have the cat looked at by a vet. Kidney disease can also cause sores in the mouth. Either way getting her looked at is best.
    staciaw

Answer by staciaw at 11:11 PM on Dec. 27, 2009