Having a baby very soon, but don't know what to expect with the cat.

This is my 7th child, but the first that we've had a cat with. How is the cat going to respond to the baby? Is there anything I need to watch out for or anything I can do to prepare my cat for the new arrival?

kristinas8

Asked by kristinas8 at 8:10 PM on Dec. 26, 2009 in Pets

• Once baby is born have someone take the little hat home after baby has worn it for a few hours. Have them let the cat smell it when they get home. This will introduce baby's scent into the home so they don't totally freak when baby actually comes home. Just make sure kitty doesn't get to sleep with baby either. They have mesh tents you can attach over the crib so kitty can't get in to snuggle up. Let's face it babies are warm, which is why kitties like them, but also not strong enough to push kitty away or off of them which is why kitty superstition says they take the baby's breath away. At any rate the vet told me about the hat trick so maybe ask your vet if they have any other ideas.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:25 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• my cat did just fine with the baby, especially once my baby got older and got the hang of petting him correctly lol. If your cat does well with people and kids, and is used to your 6 children, i'm sure he/she will do just fine! give it the same attention it's always been getting. when you hold the baby or care for the baby, and your cat wants to get petted, pet it! if it wants to smell the baby, just watch it carefully. let it know it is still loved and a member of the family.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:10 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• The advice the other moms gave you is excellent. I had cats when my daughters were born and never had any problems. In my experience , kids and animals get on well together, providing the parents don't have fears and phobias about animals.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 9:37 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• I had two cats when i brought my son home...one was extremely curious and lovable. the other took a little getting used to the crying, but soon whenever my son cried she had to go and check to make sure he was ok.

only problem is they loved to get into the crib... mostly when he wasn't in it and they left hair all over..so i kept a bedspread over it, so i could take it off and lay him in a hair free crib.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 11:56 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Before your baby is born get a doll and let your cat get used to seeing you make a fuss over it.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 4:35 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Before i had my daughter i opened the baby power and diapers anything that had a smell to it so that my cats got used to the new smells. Once my daughter was born i had my husbad bring home something that she wore so that they could smell her and left it at home.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:13 AM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I have 7 (yes, SEVEN) cats, and I never had a problem with any of them. Most of them pretty much ignore my son, or run when they see him coming, now that he's mobile, heh. But two of them let him slam on top of them, carry them around, yank their tails, do whatever he wants to do, and don't make any moves to scratch him or anything. When they've had enough, they just leave....

I do agree with PP's, make sure they can't get into the crib. Anything warm and soft is the PERFECT place for cats to sleep (so they think, anyway). When we had my son in the room with us, we would put a receiving blanket over the top of the crib, that was enough of a deterrent to keep them out. Now he's in his own room, and we always keep the door closed.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 3:29 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• I have only known cats that I have owned that are loyal and loving. I personally every time I got pregnant I pet my cat and put her on my tummy while doing it and they knew right away what was going on. After they were born they were very protective, but the thing is is that they can get so protective and sleep right next to their faces. That is the only concern I have ever had I always had to close the door because they would jump up in the crib with them to protect them, not harm them. So I would just be aware of that :)
    meliscool72

Answer by meliscool72 at 8:05 PM on Dec. 28, 2009