Are 3-in-1 car seats really junk?

I asked a question about car seats earlier before my dh and I went shopping for a new one for our 9modd who out grew her infant one. Both responses I got said not to get a 3-in-1 seat. One said because the weight limits aren"t very high. Well we just got back and we did get a 3 in 1 seat and the weight limit is up to 100 lbs! so far we really like it. It's the Evenflo Symphony 65. It's up to 35lbs rear facing, 65 front facing, and 100 booster. But why would they say 3-in-1 car seats are no good? Are they really junk? Why?

marchma2b

Asked by marchma2b at 8:10 PM on Dec. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I LOVE LOVE LOVE having a convertiable carseat..its cheaper than having to buy 3 different seats at different points. They are made to adjust for each weight limit. The only thing sometimes annoying about it is how big they are. But if you have a car that it remains in it doesnt matter. I love it :). Mines an eddie baur one.
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 8:23 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• the traditional problem with 3 in 1 seats is that they have a notoriously short shell height, which means a lot of children will outgrow the seat for height long before they hit the weight limit. IDK much about the one you mentioned, it is newer to the market.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 8:39 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• I think you just didn't get enough information last time, i don't think there is anything wrong with them either...
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 8:57 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• the one I got adjust for height also! :->
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 9:00 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• I've heard that the shells aren't that great for a booster. And also that many don't fit children as well as a dedicated booster would. I'd get a RF/FF convertible, and a booster later.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:19 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• just make sure you dont change the car seat until they have reached the weight limit. my hubby is a paramedic and when they get to accidents, that is a big problem. if it says they need to weigh 35 pounds dont change until they weigh 35 pounds!
    LadyDahl

Answer by LadyDahl at 11:34 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• My dd doesn't fit well in the 3 in 1's. She's really tall and skinny. My baby who weighs only 19 pounds can't rear face in the eddie bauer (I think it's that one) because she's too tall. That's ridiculous.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 2:41 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• They are not necessarily "junk" but typically they are just not the best seats that you can buy for the amount of money you spend. They will not be 'the last seat you ever need' as they advertise they are. Seats are outgrown by height when either the child's shoulders go above the top set of slots, or their ears go over the tops of the shell... so many kids will outgrow the seat by height before they hit the max weight limit. Also, almost all 3-in-1 seats make really horrible boosters so you should think about buying a good dedicated high back booster when the time comes (not until at least 4 and 40lbs. although age 5/6 is better).

sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 11:15 AM on Dec. 27, 2009