do you have a coffee table? is it important to have one?(serious question)

my kids broke the coffe table(it was an old used one) so im deciding on whether or not to get a new one. we have side tables that work just fine and i like that not having one makes the room appear bigger...what are your thoughts on coffee tables

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:24 PM on Dec. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I have one, but right now I have my plasma on it up against the wall. Whenever we finally pick out an entertainment center or stand that we can agree on I will mostly likely sell my coffee table. I hate to because it is gorgeous but I like just having the ottomans. We have one right now that is a storage ottoman and will probably get another one soon. Even the ottoman does not sit where a coffee table would, its up against another wall.
    My Mom has always had a coffee table, we moved hers for Christmas years ago and she liked it so much better without one she never put it back.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 9:41 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• I haven't had one for years. My oldest was probably about 2 when I got rid of it. It had these little vertical bars on it that he would always get his legs stuck in, and I'd have to spray him with Pam to get him free. I find I like it much better without it. I have side tables next to the furniture for remotes, books, lamps, etc. I have not found any reason that I NEED a coffee table.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:26 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• we dont have one at the moment, andi really wish i did, my husband has an annoying habit of setting drinks or plate on teh floor in front of the couch and it ALWAYS gets spilled!!
    we dont have side tables either.
    i am looking for a cheap set
    2barnettkids

Answer by 2barnettkids at 9:27 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• My kids use it to play on since it is there hieght. I like to put my feet on. And a place to set things down on once the kids are alseep.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 9:29 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• I don't think they are always necessary,it depends on the persons taste in furniture.I have one just to put my dog figurines on and provide me with another place to have to dust.I NEED SHELVES!!!!!!!!!!! I have been thinking about getting rid of ours and moving the figurines to another location.If you like the room without the coffeetable then go for it!!Maybe the kids did you a favor.lol
    Tikismom

Answer by Tikismom at 9:32 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• no it's not necessary. We have an ottoman. I would use the coffee table to prop up my feet anyway. I use the side table for my drinks.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 9:32 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• We have a coffee table we bought probably 11 years ago because it was so darn sturdy and I loved it. The PP is right though, I don't really NEED one and honestly the room would look so much bigger if it were gone, but the kids sit on it and they spread out the PS3 games when figuring out what to play and we play board games on it some time, so it gets use. I like it but not a necessity.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 9:33 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• I dont have one anymore, for good reason. When my son was 3, he was jumping on my couch, I told him to stop, and sure enough 5 seconds later he came down and busted his head open on it. He didnt need stitches, they ended up using the glue. After that I haven't had one. I am waiting till both kids are older, then I will probably get another. Side tables tend to work just fine, and gives the kids more open play room.
    AshleyLynnW

Answer by AshleyLynnW at 9:34 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• I wanted one for yrs until I had kids. Then all I could think was it is an accident waiting to happen. Bumping heads. My other thing is it's just a place to collect clutter and dust.
    Anonymous

• i have one and while I don't think it is necessary, it sure does come in handy. especially when hubby and i don't feel like eating at the table in the kitchen or when we have drinks in the living room or something.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 9:42 PM on Dec. 26, 2009