help with cloth diapers

We aren't even pregnant yet but I would like to use cloth diapers with our next baby. So my question is...in detail how do I use cloth diapers? She/he will need to wear like some kind of plastic pants right, so it wont leak out the sides or through it if there is a blow out?! What about cleaning them? I dump/scrape/whatever put it in the toilet and the washing machine takes out the rest right? That seems like a lot of laundry...its not like you can just let dirty diapers sit there. Is it safe to wash those diapers with other clothes? Thanks for your input, there is a lot I need to know!!

katie23

Asked by katie23 at 9:46 PM on Dec. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I used plastic pants with the cloth diapers. And yes, scraped out the poo in the toilet. No, I didn't wash the diapers with regular laundry. Regular detergent seemed to harsh for my babies skin so I used Dreft and a non-chloride bleach. I stored only enough dirty diapers to make a load (usually within a day and 1/2).
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 9:49 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Coming back again to make sure I answered all your questions: Cloth diapers are folded like a triangle between baby's legs and secured with diaper pins. Even with plastic pants, I experienced blow outs primarily because I was nursing and breast milk tends to make their stools runny. The diaper pail should include a little box like for deodrizer so it kinda curtails the smell. Yeah, washing baby's diapers and clothes can add up but they won't be small forever. (SMILE)
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 9:54 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• cloth diapers like prefolds, flatfolds and fitteds you'll need a cover. But some diapers, like all-in-ones have everything! padding, leakguard and cover "all in one". Prefolds are almost "all in ones", but you need to stuff them with prefolds or special liners. if poop is super messy you can scrape it in the toilet then put in the wash. I used the cold regular cycle and rinsed a few times to make sure any stains got out. I used free and clear detergents. I also recommend sun drying instead of using the dryer. The sun is a magical stain remover and makes the cloth diapers smell so nice! you dont want to wash them with other clothes. I pu soiled cloth diapers in a cat litter pail and sprinkled them with baking soda. once I had enough, I put them in the washing machine. you will need a lot of cloth diapers, but it saves money in the end since you can reuse them! my water bill never increased, and my son never had a diaper rash
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:56 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• OOOOOOOPS error! I didnt mean to say "prefolds" are like all in ones...I meant to write "pocket diapers. sorry!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:57 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Come join The Cuties With Cloth Booties Group, there's a great thread that will answer just about any question you have, and if you have questions it doesn't answer, everyone would be happy to help =)
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 10:36 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• it's not so hard nowadays. you can get all-in ones, which are esentially like a disposable except you can wash & reuse. they come with velcro or button snaps (buttons are more durable & last longer), and no covers or anything required. there are several cloth diapering groups that can help you out as well.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 1:54 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• I prefer prefolds and thirsties covers. Economical, easy to use, and easy to lauder. I wash diapers every other day but i've got 3 dozen prefolds. To wash every two days i would need 4 dozen. I stared with premie size for my thin butt baby for 2 months then upped to newborn size -- the premie size 4x6x4 can be used as extra inserts later!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:03 PM on Dec. 27, 2009