My daughter doesn't want to sleep in her crib at night and when I try to put her in there she cries until I pick her up and put her in bed with me. What do I do about this Problem?

Well when she finishes her last bottle before bed she is sound asleep but as soon as I put her into her crib she cries for me to pick her up so what should I do so that this does not become an even bigger problem when she is older?

Asked by Erin_21 at 12:54 PM on Jun. 25, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son did the same thing. Theres nothing wrong with letting them cry themselves to sleep,but you must makesure all of their needs have been met. plus all that screaming is good for their lungs, they develop better.She'll go to sleep eventually. Just check in on her every few minutes but don't pick her up. just let her know youre there and not going anywhere. Putting a child in bed with you will just make them think thats where theyre supposed to be.

Answer by love2bamommy771 at 1:00 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• I agree, let your baby cry it out but let them know you are still there for them. She is so used to picking her up that she knows the routine, time for you to change it for your comfort and hers.

Answer by olivia125 at 1:32 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Wait until she is fully asleep, Try moving a limb and if she wakes up she needs to lie there a little bit longer and if she doenst move then try to move her to her crib. I have a 2 year old and he wont go to sleep in his crib but as soon as he is ASLEEP I put him in there and he sleeps all night long.

Answer by fishersmom06 at 1:38 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• This is difficult. On the one hand you don't want her to cry and be distressed. But on the other hand picking her up every time she cries tells her that she can get her way if she cries.

With my children I waited until they were ready to sleep on their own. My son did so almost right away and when he was 3 he developed night terrors. He wound up sleeping with us till he was 4/5. My daughter slept with us until she was about 7 months old. She took to the crib right away.

Most people will let the child cry it out. You start with letting her cry for 5 minutes every night for a week before picking her up. Each week you increase the time (incriments of 5 min). Eventually she will either cry herself to sleep or stop crying and just go to sleep with no problems.

Your only other option is to let her sleep with you. Lots of parents co-sleep and it's believed to give the children a deeper sense of security.

Answer by amethystrse at 2:10 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• My daughter did the same thing. I just let her cry to sleep. It is hard but after a week she was okay. A LONG week...felt like months. But it worked. The last thing you want to do is put your child in bed with you. A few months ago a friend of mine did that and her son was about 6months old and her boyfriend rolled over on him and killed him. So please try to keep your baby in the crib.

• how old is your baby, and does she usually sleep with you? If she does, then it's not her fault to begin with, and you need to gradually teach her to sleep alone, but you cannot expect a miracle, if sleeping with mommy is all she knows.

As for the being awake as soon as you lay her down, try Swaddling, my son was swaddled untill 6 1/2 months, and couldn't sleep without it. Depending on the age of your child, she still may have a reflex left in her that keeps doing this, do her arms "fly" outward as if she's about to give you a hug when you lay her down anywhere? Every newborn has it, and it's a survival reflex. ( monkeys have the same one ).. Swaddling keeps the arms tight, so the reflex isn't activated

Answer by newmommyy322 at 2:30 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• This is what I did... don't change your routine. Give her the bottle & rock her, like usual. Watch the clock. Rock her for 15 minutes, then put her in bed. She'll probably cry, and you're going to have to either let her cry, or just stand there and rub her back. If she gets TOO wound up, pick her up until she's calm again, but put her right back down. After she gets the idea that you're not going to take her to your bed, you can start reducing the number of minutes that you rock her by one minute each week. That's what I did & now I only rock my son for about 6-7 minutes before I put him in bed. He doesn't cry anymore & sleeps really well.

Answer by crazysocks830 at 3:16 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• healthy sleep habits happy baby... buy the book. Its great!

Answer by ChasesMommy0115 at 12:08 PM on Jun. 26, 2008