acne products

Are benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid safe in pregnancy? I can't seem to find a straight answer and I am breaking out so bad

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:05 PM on Dec. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Try to figure out why you're breaking out. Do your vitamins have iodine in them? If so, that could be the reason for your breakouts. A lot of people are sensitive to iodine and don't realize that they are....and they take it because it's in nearly every multi-vitamin. (cont. below)

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 10:12 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• A few home remedies that work for me are.....Egg mask: Crack an egg open and separate the yolk from the white. Toss the white and spread the yolk all over your face. Let dry for about 15 minutes then wash with warm water and a cloth. Use daily. BC Powder (crushed non-coated aspirin): Mix 1 packet of BC Powder with a tiny bit of water, to make a smooth paste. Place on trouble areas or the whole face if needed. Let dry, takes about 5 minutes, then wash with warm water and a cloth. Milk: If your skin seems really irritated and red, try soaking a cloth with cold milk and let it sit on your face. The milk will soothe and calm down the redness.

banana-bear

• wash your face twice a day with a very mild soap (like unscented baby soap) and a soft wash cloth; follow with a light, oil free moisturizer (like Lush). Once a day, before you wash your face, put on a honey mask (just honey, a great anti-bacterial). Every three days add a pinch of baking soda to the honey to exfoliate

Answer by rkoloms at 10:29 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Just wanted to add that over washing your face will cause it to dry out and then produce more oil to try to gain balance back. Once a day with a cleanser is fine, but you can splash with water in the morning if you wanted.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 10:37 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• op- i know my breaking out is mostly cause by stress right now. I am 38 weeks and my husband comes home very soon for r&r and the birth of our baby. trying not to stress on whether or not he will make it in time, but not working out so well...
    thanks for the suggestions, though! hopefully something will work.
    Anonymous

• If its stress induced then the only thing thats really going to help is for you to try and calm down. The previous posters have given you some great suggestions...tea tree oil is all natural and is good for spot treating pimples, burts bees makes great products that dont have all those harsh chemicals in it...id stay away from anything with chemicals in it if I were you...better to be safe than sorry right?
    Good luck!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 11:53 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• No you aren't supposed to use either of those things on your skin while you're pregnant. Sorry, I know it sucks to look like a teenager again but it's only for nine months and then it'll clear up.
    Anonymous

• No they are not safe because they are a type of aspirin and that can cause serious birth defects etc.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 3:25 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Did u have it before u got pregnant? If so AFTER u have the baby and ONLY after I recommend getting on Accutane. I had it horribly for 8 yrs and that is the only thing n the world that will CURE it. It isnt a cream that u put on it and it goes away for a while. It cures the source. "From the inside out" is what my derm. told me. It has very serious side effects BUT my derm. said none of his patients n 30 yrs has ever had anything other than chapped lips. Its a pill that u take once a day for 5 months. It was WELL worth it for me! No side effects but chapped lips for me.
    nakoal87

Answer by nakoal87 at 7:15 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• op- nope, never really had any skin problems before, not even as a teen. so this is totally new territory. the natural products don't work, all they do is make the blemishes red and scaly...guess i can hold out and keep concealer as my best friend for the next couple weeks lol
    am going to try honey though, never thought about that one...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Dec. 28, 2009