Is it really the thought that counts?

I'm old fashiooned I guess because my mama ALWAYS said, " It's the thoughts that counts"... So I assumed ( my mistake) that when I buy someone something, even if they HATE it.. They would smile and say thank you. I learned that lesson. I bought my husband something and instead of a smile and a thank you sweetie, I was greeted with indifference and a frown. No thank you no nothing. Should I be offended????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:18 PM on Dec. 26, 2009 in Relationships

• I'd say yes. even if you werent raised with that saying, hearing NOTHING as a response can be very awkward for anyone! I'd rather hear "ooh this is the wrong one, but I can exchange it! thanks sweety" or even, "this is uuuuuh different!" *followed by a you're-a-weirdo-smile* kwim?
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:27 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• SHould be a smile and thank you, but have to ask, what did you get him?
    Anonymous

• He likes games and he had been asking for this game for a month now.. so I got it!
    Anonymous

• I don't know, men are weird sometimes, I wonder if he was worrying about how much you spent on him or something like that?
    Anonymous

• is he the kinda guy who isnt very emotional? maybe he was excited on the inside? my SO is like that. he didn't jump and dance around the house or flash me a huge smile when he opened my gift, a new pair of shorts, but he's been wearing them since yesterday and he did thank me! he also didnt get all excited when he got my mom's gift for him, a home depot gift certificate, but I knw he's been wanting to buy some hardware! he just doesnt show emotions all that much in general :o)
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:30 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• That depends. I would agree with the "smile and say thank you" idea for most gifts from most people, but with my hubby I wouldn't like it. I'm closer to him that to anyone else and I wouldn't want him to pretend he likes something I got him just to be nice. Honesty is very important to both of us and that would feel sort of like he's lying to me. Neither of us would be comfortable with it. It might sting a bit at first, but that would be preferable to me than him pretending he liked it when he didn't. I'm probably in the minority on this though. I usually am. lol
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 10:31 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Maybe if you gave it to him naked you would have gotten a more favorable response. Men are strange creatures. Who knows why he didn't act like he liked it.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:42 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• I think a thank you would have been appropriate. Maybe he needs a lesson in manners? LOL.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 11:20 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Maybe he was offended that you didnt meet his wants. Next time wrap yourself in a bow. Its a lot less money, more fun, and it'll keep him smiling and thanking you all winter long, LoL!
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 4:36 AM on Dec. 27, 2009