How can I get my 3 year old daughter to stop crying when I put her to bed?

Please respond with suggestions, tactics, or magik that makes the night peaceful....thank you.

AbellaBeautyMOM

Asked by AbellaBeautyMOM at 10:26 PM on Dec. 26, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• a cd with soft music?
    rahrahsmama

Answer by rahrahsmama at 10:36 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Close the door and don't go back in until 30min into crying open door to check on her and say if I have to come back in here you'll be in trouble, it's bed time. Then don't go back in until 30min of crying and then discipline however you do then say Its bedtime and if I have to come back in here because you are crying then you'll be in big big trouble. I wouldn't go back in after that. She'll eventually cry herself to sleep. She's 3 there's nothing wrong with that.
    Anonymous

• Why is she crying? Is she afraid? Get a small broom (trader joes had cinnamon ones) and tell her that it is a monster sweeper.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:19 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• I have a bedtime chart with fun stickers for my 2 1/2 year old. She started putting up a fuss about bedtime and I had to find a good incentive for her to not fight it. She helped me make it and had so much fun with it. She goes to bed without making a fuss and wakes up so happy every morning asking for her sticker to put on the chart. And if she does put up a fuss - I usually give her a second chance - then she doesn't get her sticker when she wakes up. Works like a charm for mine!
    Jayme

Answer by Jayme at 11:31 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• why is she crying? do not lock her up for 30 minutes. what kind of idiot would do that to their child? what does your normal bed time look like? do you lay with her? read to her? does she have a set bed time every night?
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 11:02 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• My daughter doesn't want to end her day, that's why she will cry. We've figured out the easiest way is to warn her at least twice before bedtime actually comes. Then, this week we have been saying "sleep well", "see you later" or something to that but NEVER "goodnight". Her dad thought it up and by golly, he was a genius for it. We don't know why for sure, but suspect it might be something along the lines of her realizing her day is over, time is out, when we say goodnight, but the other things aren't as final. I don't know, it sounds wacky but it works like a charm. She is 3-1/2 by the way.
    madelyns_momma

Answer by madelyns_momma at 9:56 PM on Dec. 27, 2009

• my 3 year old does the sme thing she just does not want to end her day she thinks she may miss something. I got to where i say we have 30 min till bed time then 15, 10, 5 and by then she has had a long time to get done playing and she goes and gets in bed and we dont say good nite, i say love you now close ur eyes and watch that funny movie, her dreams, she is always waking up saying i turned in to a dog or something lol she did have a melt down to night but its getting better. next step for us is for her to sleep in her bed. will be happy as heck when that happens

hollinicole

Answer by hollinicole at 11:09 PM on Dec. 27, 2009