Do you agree or disagree?

It is more noble to tell a small lie, than to deliver the painful truth?

sugahmamma

Asked by sugahmamma at 11:17 PM on Dec. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• depends on the circumstances

we talking about a butt ugly dress? or a woman's child is doing drugs?
    Anonymous

• I agree with the above anon. If the lie is meant to make someone feel good...ie. saying someone doesn't look fat when they really do...than I agree. But not if its about something serious or lie is one meant to be decietful and mean.
    Anonymous

• I work towards being as truthful as the person can handle. So no, I disagree. The truth hurts, but a lie hurts worse.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 11:23 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• i tell the truth to my friends all the time. i dont care! seriously, people need to be told the truth. i hate telling lies about certain things. I have this friend i grew up with during elementary, middle and HS and she thinks shes white but she isnt. her dumb mother makes her dye her hair blond and still at the age of 26 going on 27 on Jan 13 she still thinks she looks so damn good with blond hair. its not even blond dye that looks good. it looks so mustardy and ugly. she has light skin dark brown eyes and almost black hair. her mother is from hungary, and her dad is light like her mom but dark hair as well. she just looks aweful and tell her all the time she looks nasty
    Anonymous

• your friends must love you anon lol
    Anonymous

• I would have to disagree. I can't think of any circumstances where I would choose to tell a lie to prevent someone from being hurt. I have always believed that the truth is usually the best policy, but there were a few instances in the past where I told a lie, believing that it was the right thing to do. I was trying to prevent someone from getting hurt, but each time I found that in the long run the truth would have been much less harmful to one or all of the people involved. The last time I did that, it caused so much pain and guilt that I chose not to live that way any more. It can be very difficult to tell the truth sometimes, especially when you know it may hurt someone's feelings, but to me that is better than living with the pain of knowing that your good intentions caused even more pain than the truth would have.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 11:45 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• PAINFUL TRUTH PLEASE!!!! I find the painful truth to be monumentally more noble than a lie...even if it seems harmless.
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 11:48 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• I think it all depends on whether the truth needs to be heard or not.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:49 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• I'm a big believer in constructive honesty over delicate lies. Like for the ugly dress scenario, I wouldn't say it looks horrible, but I would say, "This cut would be more flattering" or "This type would show off your figure better."
    Anonymous

• Me too anon. I don't believe in telling little white lies. They don't foster trust. If my friends asks me my opinion, I assume they want my REAL opinion, not niceties to make them feel good. That doesn't mean I use it as an excuse to be rude, mind you, but I do tell them the truth. For some reason, someone ALWAYS asks me "what would you say if your friend asks if an outfit make their butt look big"? I would tell my friend that I think she looks better in an outfit that she really DOES look good in and suggest she try something similar. I would NOT tell my friend that she looked good in something she did not. To me, that's no different than my friend asking if she has a booger on her nose and me saying "no" because I don't want to her to feel embarrassed. I'd rather tell her myself than let someone who doesn't care about her point it out to her. If that happened, she'd still feel embarrassed AND she'd be mad at me for lying.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 12:05 AM on Dec. 27, 2009