My 20 year old has a burn on his lip....concerned about drug use

My son has been out of the house for the past month or so only coming home every once in a while (says he's staying with friends or girlfriend). He's had many problems in the past and is seeing a therapist every other week. On Christmas he was home and had a bad burn on his upper lip but would not say how he got it. I am very concerned about him possibly doing drugs. I do believe he's been possibly smoking pot although he insists he's not. He just purchased a small pocket digital scale (he does not know I know of it) and now this. What are your thoughts.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:27 PM on Dec. 26, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• if he has a set of digi's i would be more concerned about powder or meth than pot.

burn could have come from anywhere, but if he were doing crack or meth that would be the first thing to come to mind.

intervention, anyone?

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:31 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• Yes this is my concern.
    Anonymous

• Honestly yes, it sounds to me like he's on drugs. The purchasing of a digi is definitely for the weighing and possibly distributing of drugs...which kind? I'm not sure. The burn could have some from him smoking something from a pipe the got too hot...could be from a cigarette too though. Drugs are definitely involved in your son's life...at least that's what it sounds like to me.
    Anonymous

• It could possibly be from pot..but i think more likely crack or meth. The digitals are more used when dealing, in my experience then just plain use.

intervention if you can i guess, he has to want change before it will happen.

good luck
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 11:37 PM on Dec. 26, 2009

• I'd be suspicious too. Just let him know you are there for him and that he can come to you about anything. Don't out right accuse. Continue what you're doing - be aware, be prepared. Can you drop a hint to the therapist?
    Anonymous

• My hubby thinks he is smoking crack...and definitely selling some kind of drug...pot at the very least. That's his opinion...and he knows a lot about people who do drugs. I'm sorry and good luck
    michellelee3708

Answer by michellelee3708 at 12:02 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Usually burns like that come from crack or meth pipes... I would sit him down and let him know that he can be honest with you about it, and then help him find some help.
    itsjaimiehere

Answer by itsjaimiehere at 12:09 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• I have gone through this. He is using. He needs help. I feel for you and I know you don't want to believe your son is doing this but the reality of it is that he probably is. My son would stay away for days, after age 18, work as little as possible, and then come home to shower, eat, sleep and bum around.. I drew up a contract and told him either go to college FT or work FT or get out. He decided to move. He bummed around at different friend's homes. He finally decided to join the military and straighten himself out. I prayed for him everyday. Tough love is just that...tough. If I allowed him to continue what he was doing, he would be dead. He now confided in me that he was doing other more harmful drugs and I was shocked. He told me he at one point was selling. I was shocked. So please, take what your son is doing seriously. God bless.
    Anonymous

• As A mother I have learned there is suspicion and evidence What you describe is IMO evidence confront him dont enable him It is the rough road but not as rough as visiting his grave (((((HUGS)))))

freedomthinks

Answer by freedomthinks at 1:46 PM on Jan. 1, 2010