What are some ways you deal with a younger child who continuosly talks back and argues with you.

She ends up doing what I say, but she has to argue about it ahead of time. She was mouthy tonight and I warned her so she didn't get to go to the neighbors like she wanted and made her go to bed! I think I'm doing my best, but I'm interested to hear what YOU do, not what you think I should do. What works for you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:10 AM on Dec. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• my almost 3 yr old has started this. questioning me, and talking back. the corner works wonders for her. she hates to sit there, even for a few seconds. i usually let her talk for a moment, but if she doesnt do what i ask in a reasonable amount of time, then in the corner. i want her to have a voice, and not be afraid to use it, but i also want things to get done. its hard to find a balance.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 1:15 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• I warn him that he better knock it off or he wont get to do whatever like go to his girlfriends house or something.
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 1:52 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• time outs work-and never argue back :) good luck
    flowermom76

Answer by flowermom76 at 3:13 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• I think you should encourage her to be a lawyer. I mean it. I was like that and my grandmother kept punishing me and discouraging me. She eroded my self esteem and made me feel like there was something wrong with me. See the good in what she does and try to be supportive yet help her channel it in a good way. She has a gift. She'll be great in debate and she has the spunk to speak up and not back down. How amazing is that for characteristics of a great attorney? Just tell her that you appreciate her ability to argue but that she needs to use it appropriately. Tell her to study debate and prepare to be the next Perry Mason! Find the good in all children no matter how rough and negative it looks now. If we as parents recognize the skill our children have we can help them become who they are intended to be...then they can take care of us in our old age!

Answer by admckenzie at 9:01 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Don;t argue back is the most important, the instant you do, you lose. We personally remove things she enjoys, such as toys or she will not be allowed to do certain things she enjoys. She then has to earn them back. The first few times are the hardest until they know you mean business.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 1:12 PM on Dec. 27, 2009