Are baby walkers bad?

I was just online and I read a item that implied that baby walkers are bad, however it didn't say why. Does anyone kn0w why this could be or anything about this subject?

GreenLadie

Asked by GreenLadie at 1:29 AM on Dec. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• the only reasons i have heard that walkers are bad is becuase ofkids falling down the stairs, but im sure there is other reasons, but the stairs is the only one i know of, i am interested in seeing what everyone else says
    MamaSusieQ045

Answer by MamaSusieQ045 at 1:35 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Some studies show that baby walkers can create dependency, curve a baby's spine and limit the use of leg muscle development.

However, those studies are generalized meaning that not all babies show the same symptoms after walker use. If you use the walker as recommended under close adult supervision and don't leave them in the walker all day, walkers can be helpful. My daughter loves hers and is perfectly healthy.
    AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 1:38 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• my husband fell through a baby gate and down the stairs, fractured his skull in one at 10 months old. scary! they're illegal where i live.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 1:51 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Our pediatricians both said they affected a child's ability to walk and proper muscle development. Stairs are another big issue.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 2:09 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• "my husband fell through a baby gate and down the stairs"

Under close adult supervision they are safe...anyways, that sounds like a fault with the baby gate...not the walker. I'm not being argumentative...just stating facts and making a point. Don't hate me back.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 2:11 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Thaks guys. I was just wondering. We don't have a 2 story house and I'm always following my daughter around so I hope this wont be a problem.
    If anyone knows of anything else please let me know =)
    GreenLadie

Answer by GreenLadie at 2:23 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• if you want to stick you 3 month old in it, yeah it could be problematic (i know someone that did this and the child has hip problems now), but if you are using it for the correct age, and also not all day long, then it should be an issue. and no stairs. but that should be common sense!
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 2:41 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Walkers are great age appropriate toys that help children gain large motor function if used smartly.
    CuteandCurvy

Answer by CuteandCurvy at 2:48 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• well with walker if not put up right can fold back down on baby and that could be why cuz if its not put all the in place where it locks then when u put baby in the weight of baby makes it calpase hope that helps and that the only other reason i know besides stairs good luck
    myangelelena

Answer by myangelelena at 3:44 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Baby walkers are considered bad for young babies because of how they can impact spinal development. When babies are in walkers (or baby carriers) that place their bodyweight on their bum (like walkers and bjorn front-pack carriers) it forces their body t bear weight before they're ready to do so in that position, which can negatively impact the development of their spine and can even lead to vertebrae slipping out of place (pondylolisthesis). It's best to wait until baby is able to sit up unassisted before putting them in any carrier or position where they are bearing weight on their bum.

Another reason I've heard they aren't great for development, is that they can teach baby to "walk" incorrectly. With normal walking, baby's entire foot touches the ground adn they bare their bodyweight differently than when they are dangling in a walker and using their toes/mostly.

That's what i've heard.
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 5:02 AM on Dec. 27, 2009