Does this sound like a brown recluse bite?

I first had a small, itchy bump, that I assumed was just a flea bite, but then a small blister came up in the center where the bite was, and now the skin around it is red, hot to the touch and swelling also, and it's quite a bit bigger than a half dollar, and it's sore. Also, around the bite the skin is hard underneath. If you have any good home remedies, please let me know, because I can't go to the Dr. until Thursday.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:51 AM on Dec. 27, 2009 in Health

• It sounds like a spider bite. Brown recluse or any other venemous spider is just as deadly if neglected. It could turn into cellulitis and spread quickly or possibly enter your blood stream. It would be very detrimental to wait til Thursday...it will spread extremely quickly. There is no home remedy that will kill it either...you need antibiotics and medical attention immediately
    AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 1:58 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• if its a brown recluse bite then ur tissue will be dying and if u dont get into the doc or er soon it can kill u or u could lose a leg or arm it all depens where its at my mil friend just got bit by one on her butt and she waited a day or two idk how long but the doc said if u would of waited any longer u could of lost ur leg or even died so get to the er if u cant get in to the doc sooner k better safe then sorry ya know hope everything is okay wit u good luck
    myangelelena

Answer by myangelelena at 2:11 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• You need to go to the ER. There is no home remedy for a venomous spider bite. Sorry. It does sound like it.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:14 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• You def need to go to the ER! The skin is dieing and you will have a big hole if not treated!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 4:51 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• It could be. But I also had the exact same reaction to a yellow jacket sting, and any other type of bite/sting. I'm really allergic to them. It's best to get checked out though, you need to go the ER.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 5:40 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• By the way (forgot to add to last answer), not all cases of brown recluse bites end up in "dying skin" also known as necrotic lesions. It's actually a fairly rare reaction. Most doctors will update your tetanus if needed, prescribe or administer antibiotics and antihistamines (you can take benadryl at home), and schedule follow ups. Your bite will need to be seen every few days to look for signs of necrotic lesions (which will have to be removed), bacterial infection, and any other issues that might come up. Rest the area that was bitten, and keep it elevated and rested. Activity can spread the venom
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 5:49 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Go to the ER, do not wait for a doctors appointment. They will take care of it reguardless of what type of bite it may be.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:09 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• prob not brown recluse, but you should go get treated immidiatly
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:14 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• Or it could be a staph infection where I work we have complaints of people thinking they were bitten by spiders ,but when they go to the doctor and they have staph infection.
    officerdouglas

Answer by officerdouglas at 7:01 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• I have to agree with everyone. You need to have that checked out ASAP. Good luck,Sweetie!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 8:23 AM on Dec. 27, 2009