Help

My baby is 8 months his underarm temp was 100.1 he has no other symptoms, at what point should I give him something? And is it necessary to give him something?? When should I wake him up again to re take and nurse him so he stays hydrated?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:11 AM on Dec. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That is on the verge of being too high. I would check him again in an hour, and if it is the same or higher give him a half dose of tylenol or ibuprofen and then check him again an hour later, at that time nurse. He should eat 2 to 3 more times than usual to stay hydrated.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 2:18 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• I wouldn't worry yet. A fever is good for a baby unless it gets excessivly high or lasts for days. A fever is a body's way of killing off harmful bacteria and germs. Don't medicate until it gets dangerously high, otherwise it could prolong his sickness.

Nursing is a great idea! It gives him antibodies and keeps him hydrated...not to mention it is a big comfort and very soothing.

If it gets above 101 (axillary), lasts for more than 24 hours and tylenol won't bring it down, I would seek medical help.
    AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 2:19 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• If you normally wake him up in the middle of the night, wake him up then to nurse. Otherwise, let him sleep. If you really can't rest yourself, go with the hand on head test to see if he's any warmer.

A lot of low-grade fevers will go away with sleep alone. Our pediatrician doesn't even recommend baby Tylenol/Motrin until 101.5 F (though please remember this is just a mom telling you what she remembers her doctor saying and make your own best judgement).

When he's awake, nurse often. If he starts to throw up or spit up more than normal, the temperature may be affecting the milk in his tummy, so you might switch to water/diluted pedialyte to rehydrate him instead.

If his fever is higher in the morning, I'd call the doctor's office or urgent care. Same if it lasts more than 24 hours.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 2:22 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• There is no set temperature to worry about. Even a high fever isn't that high for a baby. The thing to worry about is a spiking fever....and by the time it spikes, there really isn't anything you could do anyway. The trick is to watch behavior. If they seem lethargic, aren't eating or drinking, etc. then you need to worry and call the doctor. If they seem like they feel okay, then don't do anything. If they just seem cranky but not lethargic, then give some tylenol or motrin (Motrin has an anti inflammatory quality so it is particularly good for helping body aches, etc. that go along with many viruses....I often find my daughter will eat and drink once the motrin kicks in). Hope your little one feels better.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 6:29 AM on Dec. 27, 2009

• if he has no other symptoms, why were you taking his temp?
    maybe take a layer of clothing off or put him in a luke warm bath for a bit. did he just finish throwing a fit when you took the temp?
    Aurorasmom

Answer by Aurorasmom at 3:58 PM on Dec. 27, 2009